Brake Discs pitted/rusted after 10,000 miles

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AS_BO

Reaction score
I took my car to the dealer who I bought the car from today to get the brakes looked at. What they've come back to me and said is that I was right and the brakes are VERY badly pitted/rusted on the inner and outer faces and that they would need replacing all round. £580 they've quoted me! I politely told the service manager to jog on once he'd told me that they wanted to charge a further £24 to reseal the middle pipe to backbox join in my exhaust as well!

My problem is, the car is not abused or on the flip side left standing for days/weeks on end - it's driven every day, but the brakes are shagged after 10,000 miles?! I get that they are consumable items but come on, typical service life of a set of discs and pads should be at least 3 or 4 times that! What can I do with this bullsh1t?!

Advice needed please chaps.

Being cast iron, the discs dont need an excuse to start rusting. The rears are worse due to the fact that the rear brakes do little work so the surface rust doesnt always get worn away and you end up with deeper patches which then wear the pads unevenly... Cue vicious cycle untill discs are screwed.

Front Brembo HC discs can be had for less than £40 if they need changing. However, regularly leaving my motor stood for a month, I'm used to having badly corroded discs :( if the disc isnt worn down towards the minimum or the surface become grooved, I normally scuff the surface with some 80 or 120 grade emery cloth untill the rust is gone or almost gone, followed by rebedding the pads back in

what neil has said basically, or you can be fancy and do a bit of basic electrolysis with a 12v battery and some iodised water in a bucket with two terminals for positive and negative dipped into the water with the brake discs. leave it for a couple of hours and this will remove all of the rust evenly, just as easy to emery paper off the surface rust and let the brake pads remove the rest. just go down a couple of local streets first or country back roads, kane it upto 30-40 slam your brakes on hard and the rust will be gone lol

singlespeed":ghj1ec7d said:
Being cast iron, the discs dont need an excuse to start rusting. The rears are worse due to the fact that the rear brakes do little work so the surface rust doesnt always get worn away and you end up with deeper patches which then wear the pads unevenly... Cue vicious cycle untill discs are screwed.

Front Brembo HC discs can be had for less than £40 if they need changing. However, regularly leaving my motor stood for a month, I'm used to having badly corroded discs :( if the disc isnt worn down towards the minimum or the surface become grooved, I normally scuff the surface with some 80 or 120 grade emery cloth untill the rust is gone or almost gone, followed by rebedding the pads back in

oscar":ghj1ec7d said:
what neil has said basically, or you can be fancy and do a bit of basic electrolysis with a 12v battery and some iodised water in a bucket with two terminals for positive and negative dipped into the water with the brake discs. leave it for a couple of hours and this will remove all of the rust evenly, just as easy to emery paper off the surface rust and let the brake pads remove the rest. just go down a couple of local streets first or country back roads, kane it upto 30-40 slam your brakes on hard and the rust will be gone lol

This is the problem chaps, the inner side of the front discs is grooved and scored with a lip around the outer edge. The rears are in a bad way too. Surely it's not even plausible for this to happen after 10,000 miles with pretty standard driving?

A rusty lip forming on the outer and inner edges of the swept area is normal. Rusty areas slightly grow in volume so end up raised whilst the swept areas get worn down. The rusty outer lip can easily be removed by tapping it and chunks of rust will flake off so it looks less unsightly.

Measuring the discs minimum thickness and comparing that to the new and worn limit would give an idea of how worn the disc is.

I take it this is still the first set of pads... How much pad thickness is left on the fronts?

singlespeed":6oxapsch said:
A rusty lip forming on the outer and inner edges of the swept area is normal. Rusty areas slightly grow in volume so end up raised whilst the swept areas get worn down. The rusty outer lip can easily be removed by tapping it and chunks of rust will flake off so it looks less unsightly.

Measuring the discs minimum thickness and comparing that to the new and worn limit would give an idea of how worn the disc is.

I take it this is still the first set of pads... How much pad thickness is left on the fronts?

I'm not sure Neil, I'm taking the wheels off this Friday to clean them anyway so I'll be inspecting them then. I'll keep you all posted.

flake the rust off around the rusted circumference of the disc / outer lip whatever you want to call it lol, then get some 80 grit sand paper to smoothe it down. it's not important that it won't be perfectly circular anymore, but the outside rust will be gone. this is usually something i do when i'm replacing brake pads on a car during a service, although it go over it with a little dye grinder to quicken things up