Brake fade

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad133

Reaction score
do anyone of you brainy guys (most likely to be Oscar or single speed) know a way to help reduce break fade? it's really bugging me recently

Brad133":1dxrjswh said:
do anyone of you brainy guys (most likely to be Oscar or single speed) know a way to help reduce break fade? it's really bugging me recently
Couple of things you need to tell us, what set-up have you got, when does it happen, do you use your gears to help slow down - etc. etc - you get my drift.

I'm running the standard set up and its just after about 5 mins of spirited driving (on private roads) not even going that fast

Brad133":2sjk433w said:
I'm running the standard set up and its just after about 5 mins of spirited driving (on private roads) not even going that fast
Do you use your gears as well???

Spitfire1":2yu5uswr said:
Brad133":2yu5uswr said:
Do you use your gears as well???
half the time mate yeah

You possibly drag your brakes by braking early and without a lot of pressure.

But

Once you boil your fluid you need to change it as it will deteriorate with air bubbles in the system. If its old it may have absorbed too much water from the air.

If everything is working as it should and you are simply working the brakes hard then a pad upgrade and suspension upgrade will help. Uprated pads will cope with higher temperatures, and stiffer suspension will reduce weight transfer forward under heavy braking.

Kam Racing":16gofrb9 said:
You possibly drag your brakes by braking early and without a lot of pressure.

But

Once you boil your fluid you need to change it as it will deteriorate with air bubbles in the system. If its old it may have absorbed too much water from the air.

If everything is working as it should and you are simply working the brakes hard then a pad upgrade and suspension upgrade will help. Uprated pads will cope with higher temperatures, and stiffer suspension will reduce weight transfer forward under heavy braking.
thank you for the very helpful answer! my cars already on 25mm apex springs so I will change my break fluid and if that's no good then new brakes it is

It could also be the pads or caliper being slightly seized.

If the pads are too tight in the carriers or, the piston being seized in the caliper, the pads may be binding against the disc whilst your not actually braking. Probably overheating the compound causing a loss of friction, so not slowing down whilst still having a firm peddle under foot.

Strip down and check everything is free to move.
If the pads are getting thin, that would allow excess heat from the braking surface to migrate into the fluid, causing it to boil. It will boil easier if its old and become saturated with moisture... spongy foot going to the floor feeling, which isn't funny.
Replace the fluid whilst the wheels are off

singlespeed":7ub47tbs said:
It could also be the pads or caliper being slightly seized.

If the pads are too tight in the carriers or, the piston being seized in the caliper, the pads may be binding against the disc whilst your not actually braking. Probably overheating the compound causing a loss of friction, so not slowing down whilst still having a firm peddle under foot.

Strip down and check everything is free to move.
If the pads are getting thin, that would allow excess heat from the braking surface to migrate into the fluid, causing it to boil. It will boil easier if its old and become saturated with moisture... spongy foot going to the floor feeling, which isn't funny.
Replace the fluid whilst the wheels are off
thank you, I can see a busy weekend coming up