Brakes

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 980

Reaction score
Well yesterday evening I popped out in the car and there was an an awful noise coming from the front brakes.
Like a metal grinding noise constantly, and got worse when I broke.

I jumped out and the discs and pads looked fine on both sides

Today I've took it for a decent drive and the noises are still there! Popped into local garage and he took it for a drive and a check over. He agreed my discs and pads are perfect front and back. Came to the conclusion there must be some grit or something stuck in-between the pads and discs. Thats tomorrow job then. Just a bit strange how its both sides making a grinding noise. As I said the noise is all the time and worse when I brake. What parts are linked on the front that would mean the noise came from both sides? :?

Honestly though I'm a bit concerned even though he told me the pads and sics look fine.

What noise would a wheel bearing make that was on the way out? Again a bit strange that the noise is from both sides

I've just been and bought a 7mm allen key from the local motor parts store as last time I tried to strip down the brakes I had to give up as the only 7mm allen key I had just bent. This ones hardened so should take some stick

markhardy":2nwq543u said:
Well yesterday evening I popped out in the car and there was an an awful noise coming from the front brakes.
Like a metal grinding noise constantly, and got worse when I broke.

I jumped out and the discs and pads looked fine on both sides

Today I've took it for a decent drive and the noises are still there! Popped into local garage and he took it for a drive and a check over. He agreed my discs and pads are perfect front and back. Came to the conclusion there must be some grit or something stuck in-between the pads and discs. Thats tomorrow job then. Just a bit strange how its both sides making a grinding noise. As I said the noise is all the time and worse when I brake. What parts are linked on the front that would mean the noise came from both sides? :?

Honestly though I'm a bit concerned even though he told me the pads and sics look fine.

What noise would a wheel bearing make that was on the way out? Again a bit strange that the noise is from both sides

I've just been and bought a 7mm allen key from the local motor parts store as last time I tried to strip down the brakes I had to give up as the only 7mm allen key I had just bent. This ones hardened so should take some stick

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
I've noticed a grinding noise coming from the brakes too, but strangely they feel really sharp when used. I've always assumed if they 'feel' fine then it must be dirt or something.....will check the calipers tomorrow morning to see how much is left on the pads.

the noise from a shot wheel bearing will be a droning metallic noise, pretty loud and disheartening to hear. jack your car up and wiggle the wheel with your left hand on 12 oclock position and your left hand on the 6 of 6 o'clock. if there is any clicking and freeplay then get the bearings done. you could do the job yourself, but i wouldn't reccomend using the old 3/4 drive socket and hammer approach on magnetic bearings. better do to it with the hyrdraulic press

edit - i see this is an old thread, no doubt you've got this sorted lol

oscar":1x0wflac said:
the noise from a shot wheel bearing will be a droning metallic noise, pretty loud and disheartening to hear. jack your car up and wiggle the wheel with your left hand on 12 oclock position and your left hand on the 6 of 6 o'clock. if there is any clicking and freeplay then get the bearings done. you could do the job yourself, but i wouldn't reccomend using the old 3/4 drive socket and hammer approach on magnetic bearings. better do to it with the hyrdraulic press

edit - i see this is an old thread, no doubt you've got this sorted lol
Thanks mate.

Yeah its definitely not that bad. will keep an ear out over the next few days and see what happens, taking it back under warranty for knocking steering noise so will definitely be getting them to look at that as well.