Broken Manifold...?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jra3d

Reaction score
Ok so last night pulling away at some lights gently in first gear, changed into second and there was a thud and all of a sudden the car started to vibrate like a pooping dog!

Anyway pulled over, checked the engine bay no movement like an engine mount and she changes gear easily so again not a gearbox mount. So It begs the question what is broken!

I think a cracked Manifold, as she still pulls well but sounds ten times louder (awesome sound) but I can't figure out whats up!

So this morning started up and driven home and at idle no real difference of sound outside, but then still the shaking and vibrations and the extreme volume!

Ideas on a postcard

you'll need to jack the car up on axle stands and then pop the car into first gear and get a friend to pop it into first gear to take it up through the revs whilst the engines under a driven load, then you'll be able to pin point exactly where the sound is coming from and rule out engine mounts properly. it deffinately does sound like a blowing manifold though jra3d, hopefully that's just a simple weld repair :D

Im pretty sure no mounts are gone as you can't rock the engine and it happily goes into gear!

But I'll give that a go and find the axel stands again!

I am considering it as it's out of warranty :/ so if it is a broken manifold well..... Read as you like

jra3d":jt3vr6sp said:
I am considering it as it's out of warranty :/ so if it is a broken manifold well..... Read as you like

I would expect renault to charge more for an OE manifold than KTEC do but then there's the issue of MOT testing so you'll have to befriend a tester at some point

Hmm thats the question, find out whats broken and then way up the options, a CAT full or DECAT full

Exhaust mount maybe? It does sound like it could be a mount. Clio 197s and 200s suffer from the manifold flexis braking but I'm not sure if that would be the cause of the problem although it could be

Isn't exhaust mount at the rear?

Sorry stupid question but I'm lost haha dad followed me earlier looking at the back and underneath and with some hard left and right couldn't see anything move!

jra3d":23o4g7ip said:
Isn't exhaust mount at the rear?

Sorry stupid question but I'm lost haha dad followed me earlier looking at the back and underneath and with some hard left and right couldn't see anything move!

As far as I've seen under mine there's one directly in the middle of the car and one at the rear on the back box, I read somewhere someone's had their downpipe crack once that cause a shitload of issues.

Don't suppose there's any faults being thrown up is there by the ECU? A poorly dini is a dad time :( there's hardly any on the road in the UK as it is!

I doubt its the exhaust manifold cracked if its vibrating loudly but not any extra noise at idle it would be loud as **** and suffocating you with fumes!, popping and banging flames out the crack!

Martin_172":34ri7zuc said:
I doubt its the exhaust manifold cracked if its vibrating loudly but not any extra noise at idle it would be loud as f**k and suffocating you with fumes!, popping and banging flames out the crack!

Popping and banging flames.... Of course, doesn't chicken have a crack in his manifold and his isn't a fire breathing dragon iirc?

And an exhaust mount wouldn't make it louder and wouldn't vibrate the crap out the car but it will just give a knocking sound and feel, I know as my mount decided it didn't want to be a mount anymore once :lol:

look closely and give it a rev and you will be able to tell if its cracked or not by the flames, my clio 200 was burning the flame proof sound deadening!

waitey":278e5vkn said:
Martin_172":278e5vkn said:
I doubt its the exhaust manifold cracked if its vibrating loudly but not any extra noise at idle it would be loud as f**k and suffocating you with fumes!, popping and banging flames out the crack!

Popping and banging flames.... Of course, doesn't chicken have a crack in his manifold and his isn't a fire breathing dragon iirc?

This is only a suspicion on why my cars down on power. We have an idea now on what is wrong with James' car but until I take a look at mine to compare we're unsure.

Looking at it potential front lower mount :/ confirmed hopefully by chicken and a video of how his engine rocks!

Is there a knock or two when you switch the engine off? When mine did that the dealers fitted a new upper engine mount and a new dogbone mount which cured the knocking.

Get your phone down under the battery tray and get a pic of the G/box mount. A few have broken and give a lot of vibration as the gearbox ends up sat on the subframe.

increased noise. As theres no dash lights, maybe its after the cat :? failed flexi joint or gasket next to it. Needs looking at quickly as the heat shield will only work for so long if its got a major blow

Heres the thing
7182798743_811c7bfd20_c_d.jpg

Theres been a couple of snapped pins>>
7182802765_5082bd66eb_c_d.jpg

And, another one where the pin was intact but the bottom of the rubber bushed part had come away. There should be a few mm gap between the gearbox bracket and the underside of the rubber bush, as shown.

So the engine doesnt rock, it more twists looking at it again this evening! There isn't a knock when you turn it off but a grinding growl sort of noise when you turn her on!

Cheers neil i'll have a look see :)