Car Overheated

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MovingShadow

Reaction score
Was driving home today and somewhere halfway I got a warning on my dash saying the engine was too hot.

So I pulled over underneath a bridge at the side of the road and let her cool off.

Drove home again and further inspection showed this:

7u2uruzy.jpg

vedesasa.jpg

Saw coolant dripping and when opening the coolant tank was steaming when opened.

Coolant was as good as empty.. Damn it, first the balljoints, now this.

check the security of the hoses on the radiator and expansion tank, you'll find the problem there no doubt. it will be a case of either the coolant expansion tank has cracked or the radiator / hoses have cracked somewhere. performing a coolant pressure test will track down the route of this problem, top the system up with water and then perform the pressure test. you should then see where the leak is coming from :) if it's the end of a hose, you may be able to cut the hose and then stick it back onto the the join...but i didn't recommend you that one lol

Haven't had time to do it myself. Car is getting dropped off this evening at Renault and they'll call me tomorrow if they find it.

So I got a call from Renault this morning.

They found quite a substantial rupture between the radiator and the airco radiator.

Estimated costs are 700€ for repairs.

The leak is that severe that they even asked if I had an accident with it.

I said I've barely driven the car this month.
They said they would investigate where the damage would come from.

First the balljoints and now this.. Over 1100€ of costs this month for my car alone.

MovingShadow":1qmylusu said:
So I got a call from Renault this morning.

They found quite a substantial rupture between the radiator and the airco radiator.

Estimated costs are 700€ for repairs.

The leak is that severe that they even asked if I had an accident with it.

I said I've barely driven the car this month.
They said they would investigate where the damage would come from.

First the balljoints and now this.. Over 1100€ of costs this month for my car alone.

1100?! That sucks man!
Surely you could get it done cheaper somewhere else?

Airco will also need to be refilled when removing the radiator.

I called the garage and they would further investigate what could cause the damage.

They say that even taking a speedbump too fast could have knocked against the support that holds the radiator and creating the crack.

They say this isn't something that happend overnight either.

I also send a 'polite' email to Ktec if there memory recollects anything that could have done this, since it was there for 3 months.

must say matteo i've never heard of or seen anything like this in all my days!
avoid renault like the plague, no need to be paying 700 quid for that kind of repair which you could easily do yourself dude or even a local garage that'd be half the price (or is this under warranty still??)

hopefully we see you back on the road soon. i've still to see this car in person. i cannot wait :D

MovingShadow":3l1juil7 said:
Airco will also need to be refilled when removing the radiator.

I called the garage and they would further investigate what could cause the damage.

They say that even taking a speedbump too fast could have knocked against the support that holds the radiator and creating the crack.

They say this isn't something that happend overnight either.
Ask them to make their mind up :?
One line suggests impact damage of some form, whilst the other suggests a long term failure.

It wasnt a noticeable problem when the wishbones were replaced, so its probably a recent thing.

You should be able to leave the ac canister pipes connected and just unbolt the can from the end of the rad, temporarily securing it with tywraps whilst removing the radiator. As per the manual.
- Attach the condenser to the upper cross member of the front end panel with a safety strap(s).
- Remove the condenser bolts from the radiator.
- Uncouple the condenser from the cooling radiator.
- Remove the radiator mounting cross member (seeRadiator mounting cross member: Removal Refitting)
- Withdraw the air deflectors from the sliding adjusters.
- Remove the engine cooling system radiator.

Ktec replied as well saying if something like that happend it's from something recent and not from damage over days or weeks.

Either someone bumped into my car when it was parked at home or at work as in the week it happend I only used it for commuting.

But then again, there is no noticeable damage on the front bumper.. Except for what looks like some dried up coolant liquid.

I don't get it :-/

From crash damage, how would you not have a damaged bumper or bent crash bar in front of the rad.

Having bent a few radiators in the past, ive not actually had one leak. Yes, it was quite obvious that they were damaged as the front of the cars were flat.

How easy it it to get a screw driver in the damaged area ? could be a bit of foul play if everything else in the surrounding area is fine.
im guessing you would of noticed a pool of water a few days before hand if there was a slight leak a few days before hand

There is a tray underneath the radiator no? So if it would have leaked, it probaly ended up in there.
At that time it was super hot. Day my car overheated it was 40 degrees celcius when I got in my car.
So if there would have been a leak, it probaly already evaporated.

Well I got the car back.
It's safe to say it drives like new (balljoints were also replaced mid July).
On the good side, I'm able to divert the costs via my insurance. I have full coverage and I can blame the damage on stone chip so the bill has been send to my insurance agent.