Career Advice?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RS133ETO

Reaction score
Any career advisers on here? Or somebody with a good head on their shoulders?

Basically, missed out on another job today due to lack of experience. I'm 24 and the lad was in his late 40's so couldn't compete really.

I've been a Level 3 qualified vehicle technician for 2 years now, and it's the same with every company, "Require 5 years experience" etc. I didn't do an apprenticeship, instead opting to do a more technical qualification in college based training. I've done 3 months work experience in a garage, but getting fed up of doing all the work without pay.

I already have a job (Supervisor), but I'm working over 40 hours every week just to bring home £1200-£1500 every month.

Any advice on how I can work in a dealership workshop, without working for free to get experience? I know it's catch 22 and all that, but there must be a way.

Any comments welcome, Thanks.

From what I can gather I think a lot of main dealers are looking for in their technicians, rather than experienced people, but people that they can take on and train up to their own standard (i.e. apprentices). Anytime I've ever been at a main dealer it's always been full of young guys, ages with me and some even younger, and any older folk have been there for years. I know it'll be a pain to go almost backwards but maybe applying for an apprenticeship at somewhere may be the way to go.

Who knows, maybe some of them will let you start in your 2nd/3rd year because of your current qualifications...