Changing car's + insurance policy + swapping number plates

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubz

Reaction score
I'm thinking changing my car to a twingo GT as I can trade my i-music in and get a 09 reg twingo GT. This idea has come around as I did not get uni accomodation and I will have to commute daily 40+ miles and GT's are meant to be more fuel efficient as I'm getting 35 mpg currently on that route and going through a tank every 8 days without any extra driving at all due to hills but I don't really know what I would have to do with my current insurance policy.

Would I just change my car on the policy pay any extra then keep the renewals the same date or start a new policy? I'm trying to keep my costs at a minimum as I don't want to waste my money but I don't really want to lower my standard of living.

Trying to keep everything in one topic how would I go about swapping number plates over? As mine is personalised

Thanks

Re: swapping insurance, you can either change your car on current policy, or switch to a new one. you'll have to get a quote from your insurer for how much it will be to change car. If they want a rediculous sum, it may be worth swapping to a different provider. Don't forget, depending on how far through this policy you are, you may not gain any no claims entitlement if you switch to a new policy, so its worth bearing in mind if your current insurer's not that much more, not losing however many months towards your next NCD might be worth it.

Re: the plates, you could try and get it into a swap deal that the garage has to do it for you. Its a nice little haggling tool as it doesn't cost them much, but saves a chunk of faffing around for you.

You will loose your Ncb you've built up unless your near the very end of your policy if you change provider. Best thing to do is phone up and ask for how much it would be to change car. Give them the reg of the gt and they will go it will cost £x more. I'll explain it better tomorrow night as I think I'll be seeing you.
Plates can either be done through dealer like fax has said or personally. The personal method is a pain in the rear though

I can advise on insurance dunno about plates lol. Id stick with your current provider, the additional premium will only be for how long you got left to run on your policy, plus like drdrew said if you cancel mid term you wont earn that years NCB & They will charge you ridiculously for cancelling.

:)

I'm only 5 months in on my policy. Being 18 I want to get as much no claims as possible (even though I have a claim that didn't affect my no claims) so I will not be cancelling my policy

Cheers chicken. Yeah I'll be there tomorrow night. Also what is happening tomorrow? All I know is we're meeting in brackley then driving to northampton

HOLY CRAP! My current insurers wanted £5775.72 if I was to start a new policy tomorrow!!! Whereas elephant wanted £1058. Seems like I'll be keeping my i-music until next April where I will be changing my insurer as they want £2400 next year.... Elephant wants £875.

Have you tried ringing them and asking how much it would be to change your policy?

When I changed to the 133, my insurer at the time wanted something like an extra £250 more than what my current policy was to start a new one, but to change over the car on the ongoing policy they only wanted £30.

That cant be right at 5k. To give you an idea, i bought my GT when i was 19 in november 2011. i had a corsa C 1.0 that was insured until may 2012. i rang my insurance provider (admiral) and the policy went up by about £200 - £300 cant remember exactly to £2250, so in effect i paid an additional say £250 on a policy which still had about 6 months to go which is similar to you.

This was with 2 years NCB and not the most glam of postcodes, so you should be able to get near that at your age.

Little tip elephant and admiral are same company I know admiral do insure for 10 months so works out a little cheaper obviously but racks up ncb quicker ad there proper ncb not just for there company

i did the 10 month policy for first 2 years, i think it costs more but as said, NCB comes sooner so in the long run it becomes beneficial

Ben admiral are £150 more expensive than elephant which doesn't really make sense but they are. If it's anymore than £200 to change I most likely won't do it.

If you call and explain the quote is cheaper with their sister company they can cross check it and match it for you. I have done with with bell and admiral last two insurance renewals.

My dad adds £50 onto mine as it's got a couple of points. I'm taking him off at the end of the policy as his only driven my car once and that was when I bought it.

My mum takes £200 off so she's staying on there :p

Just been told no extra cost would be added to the policy... That's brilliant! No claims would still be the same. Now to see how much I can get for my I-music!

i was quoted £30 more for a dymanique than my GT... exact same age etc. not sure how the ins companies work out their logic