Cheap coilovers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we used to sell them but found they were a bit shit. The main problem being the damper seals failing on FK products. Too many didnt even last a year. returns cost us money and lots of hassle so we binned them as a brand

dont save up on suspension else go for decent lowering springs or save up some money and buy decent coilovers , in the end you will get what you pay for keep that in mind ;)

Ahh right fair enough, thought there'd be a reason they were so cheap!

Bought some AP coilovers today, fitting them in a few weeks hopefully once I've got a few bits painted on them as there's a bit of surface rust
After I fit them, do I need to get my tracking etc done?

After getting the springs sprayed etc, and waiting ages for a free weekend with decent weather, I've now got bored, bought a gazebo, and they're off on when the snow goes!
But got a few questions...
On the top, shouldn't there be a nut so the springs compressed before the strut goes onto the car? Like the originals?

Also,
When I fit them, is there anything I should replace at the same time? Any Bolts etc?
And Any tips for fitting them? Or is it pretty straight forward?

You have to fit the topmounts. You can use the rubber ones that sit on your original suspension.
But if you got the cash then it's best to get some Ktec/Compbrake / Kam Racing topmounts.
I'll be doing atleast since I need to swap my coilovers every year for MOT here in Belgium.
And it's not healthy for the topmounts, to keep switching them.
If you can, use some grease on the coil itself to keep it from getting stuck and put some grease on the bolts.
That way, whenever you want to give them a service, you won't have too much troubles getting the coilovers off your car.

Tracking will need to be done.

MovingShadow":n7psmqc5 said:
You have to fit the topmounts. You can use the rubber ones that sit on your original suspension.
But if you got the cash then it's best to get some Ktec/Compbrake / Kam Racing topmounts.
I'll be doing atleast since I need to swap my coilovers every year for MOT here in Belgium.
If you can, use some grease on the coil itself to keep it from getting stuck and put some grease on the bolts.
That way, whenever you want to give them a service, you won't have too much troubles getting the coilovers off your car.

So I don't need to fit anything else to them apart from the top mounts then? So I just bolt it at the bottom, put it through the hole at the top & fit the top mount?
New top mounts will be ordered at some point when I have the cash, not any time soon though!
The plan is to clean & copper grease everything before it goes back on, like everything else :D
Will get the tracking done straight after aswell

sullii94":2nhb8fxb said:
MovingShadow":2nhb8fxb said:

So I don't need to fit anything else to them apart from the top mounts then? So I just bolt it at the bottom, put it through the hole at the top & fit the top mount?
New top mounts will be ordered at some point when I have the cash, not any time soon though!
The plan is to clean & copper grease everything before it goes back on, like everything else :D
Will get the tracking done straight after aswell
Speak to Pure Motorsport about the top mounts, they will supply you will the complete arrangement plus strut brace for just over £200, I know I've got them fitted.

Also consider camber bolts for adjusting the camber angle - then you can set your camber a lot more accurately. If you don't go for the camber bolt then remember to buy new hub to strut bolts as the originals are a one shot deal

I still use the original bolts but as Spitfire said. It's really hard to adjust the camber without some camber bolts..

With the bolt holes being an oval instead of a circle, could the camber not be adjusted this way?
Tracking etc will be done at a garage so suppose they could do the camber aswell?
Would renault sell the bolts seperate do you think? If they do should I order them or will they have them in stock?

sullii94":34iructl said:
With the bolt holes being an oval instead of a circle, could the camber not be adjusted this way?
Tracking etc will be done at a garage so suppose they could do the camber aswell?
Would renault sell the bolts seperate do you think? If they do should I order them or will they have them in stock?

Yes looking at the top bolt slot you will have movement and your garage should be able to adjust it, and yes Renault should stock these bolts as they are replaced as standard when doing any work on a strut, but I would still order them just in case, they can normally get them within 24 hours.

Okay, if I get the tracking done can I change the camber to how I want it at a later date? without having to pay to get the tracking done again?
And I'll give em a ring tomorrow, they're open Saturday morning right? And is there anything else to change? Or just the top & bottom bolts that mount the strut to the hub?

sullii94":ycs2tg34 said:
Okay, if I get the tracking done can I change the camber to how I want it at a later date? without having to pay to get the tracking done again?
And I'll give em a ring tomorrow, they're open Saturday morning right? And is there anything else to change? Or just the top & bottom bolts that mount the strut to the hub?
If you get it done at a garage with the correct 4 wheel alignment equipment then the camber will be done first then the toe last, that's the normal way of doing it correctly.

Spitfire1":2q6ma8kv said:
sullii94":2q6ma8kv said:
If you get it done at a garage with the correct 4 wheel alignment equipment then the camber will be done first then the toe last, that's the normal way of doing it correctly.

Ahh right, so if I got camber bolts at a different time it'd need it doing again?

sullii94":258kh731 said:
Spitfire1":258kh731 said:
sullii94":258kh731 said:

Ahh right, so if I got camber bolts at a different time it'd need it doing again?
It would certainly want checking plus setting - I would see what you can achieve with the slots first before you buy camber bolts as you might just get away with a suitable angle - what do you want, I run - 2.00 Deg Neg on the front which is OK and current tyre wear is OK.

Okay, thanks for all the info! :)
Not too sure what camber I want yet will have to change it as I go..