Checking Spark Plugs Twingo GT

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonard

Reaction score
Hi,

Not changed spark plugs on a car for ages so was shocked to pull the ht lead on a plug, to find five inches of rubber rather than a spark plug.

Checked forum and someone advised on purchasing a long 10/14mm long socket from eBay (scenic) to get to them easily. Bought one and tried to get a spark plug out to find the socket doesn't fit down the hole!

Can anyone advise on the correct part to order please..I take it that the tube that the rubber lead/connector fits into doesn't come out as well?

Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly I used a deep 12mm socket, but I'm sure someone will come along and confirm this!

The socket I bought doesn't look like it will fit down the shaft to the plug. I guess what I'm asking is, should a 12or14mm socket fit straight down the hole or does something else come out to get to it. This extended socket looks to big for diameter of hole?

you'll require a thin wall 14mm deep socket and a magnetic pick up arm to remove the spark plug once you've loosened it. or you can opt for a 14mm box spanner. the actual special 14mm spark plug socket is only available to the trade, however you may be able to get cheap copies out there

the ht lead is seperate from the spark plug .... you should know that lol, remove the ht lead and then get your brand new shiney deep socket into the spark plug cylinder and whack it out.

see below for tightening torques of the spark plug, and the correct gap to set / check if required.
renault-twingo/twingo-maintenace-t917.html

actually from the top of my head, i am not sure if it's a 12 or 14. i will confirm tomorrow, unless someone else pops along before me.

If you haven't got a propped plug socket that holds onto the plugs, to lower them in or retrieve them from the recess in the head, a length of hose that gently holds onto the plug can be used ;)

are you for real neil? hahaha surely not! i suppose it could do the job, but a ratchet with the socket and a gentle hand will be so much easier :D

heli coils at the ready ;)

How deep are the plugs in the head for the GT?

If its going to be well out of reach (like k4m), that works spot on, as i found after discovering the rubber retainer had vanished from my plug socket. Much better than risking the plugs dropping into the hole and potentially damaging the electrodes or threads on the head.

It was a length of silicone hose that I had, probably 10 or 12mm. Crack the plug loose, push the hose over the white porcelain of the plug and then finish unscrewing it before lifting it clear... Put new plug into hose, lower in and screw into place, pull hose from plug, torque up the new plug :)

same depth as the K4M, sunk around the length of a can of pepsi or a bit more than that but it's the same through the 4 main renault engine ranges really. see i thought you meant a garden hose :/

oscar":1y8txcji said:
same depth as the K4M, sunk around the length of a can of pepsi or a bit more than that but it's the same through the 4 main renault engine ranges really. see i thought you meant a garden hose :/

I think a garden hose would be a bit too loose a fit, to hold onto a plug.

Pepsi! Surely you mean Bru :p

Hi,

Not changed spark plugs on a car for ages so was shocked to pull the ht lead on a plug, to find five inches of rubber rather than a spark plug.

Checked forum and someone advised on purchasing a long 10/14mm long socket from eBay (scenic) to get to them easily. Bought one and tried to get a spark plug out to find the socket doesn't fit down the hole!

Can anyone advise on the correct part to order please..I take it that the tube that the rubber lead/connector fits into doesn't come out as well?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

You need a 14x250mm mag socket. On eBay for about £ 14

Attachments

• IMG_3104.png
    IMG_3104.png
    353.1 KB · Views: 0