clunking noise

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 980

Reaction score
knocking/clunking coming from the front of the car.

It started two weeks ago, basically when I was going slow (10mph) in a carpark and lifting off but staying in gear there would be a couple of clunks. The noise is more often now and I can sometimes just about hear it when doing 30mph over the road noise.

To go with this I have a scuffing sound coming from the front right wheel.

The clunk has been really bad today, as in people were looking as I was driving in the carpark at work. Too busy to get the wheel off and have a look this week.

Sometimes the clunk sounds like it is coming from the brakes, but 2minutes later the clunk will sound from a more central position (think behind footwell). If it was just the brake area I'd say a brake issue but it might not be.

Could it be a driveshaft? Would the driveshaft cause a scuffing sound as well as clunk?

No clunking or banging when I go over speedbumps/potholes. Brakes are performing fine, I did an emergency stop today and the brakes worked perfectly with no clunks.

You can replicate the clunk everytime by reversing and braking sharply over 1 metre. Same for going forwards.

sounds like the bottom arms shot mark, make sure you check that first. it won't be your drive shaft as they wouldn't be effected by the sudden linear impact of the braking whereas if you were to imagine a ball joint's job is to move back and forth, if it were to have excessive play and slam the brakes on either forwards or in reverse . get the front up on axle stands and give the wheel a wiggle in the 12-6 o'clock position and then the 3-9 o'clock position with your hands if you get me?! i'd suspect a bearing on it's way out. other causes on the clunking will be CV joints on the driveshaft but if the first way fails, start from the top of the strut mounts and test for bearing play and work your way down to the hub and back through the steering to the inner drum sticks, much easier if you do it that way just a bit more time consuming

Cheers mate.

It's finding time that's the problem, snowed under with work. I'll try to do what you've said when I get time, not even got time to get to a garage!

You can get a decent view of the ball joints with the wheels on full lock and getting your head under the front, assuming they're not filthy. It's not an entire view but would give you a good idea of the condition

Hanging off the wheel as described above is a good check for play in the steering.

Best to get the wheel off and get yourself under there (with stands of course) and have a visual check of everything. Give it all a good wiggle and check any rubber boot/bush. If it's not right it should be fairly obvious anyway

I've just phoned RUK. To summarise in the last 23months the car as had the following replaced:

waterpump (number 1)
balljoints
seatframe
engine mounts
rotary switch
waterpump (number 2 - still not cured the rattle. Dephaser will be getting replaced if I keep the car)
lower universal joint
steering rack

add whatever the new problem is to that list

When people say don't buy french I disagree but now I tend to agree.

The cars on 26500 miles. I've done 6500 of those

Wow it's had pretty much everything done ,

Recently I've been getting this clunk noise as well. Accelerating whilst in traffic and when letting go of the throttle or when braking I can hear this clunk noise coming from the front of the car. I can also feel it in the pedals.

MovingShadow":2vgux9nm said:
Recently I've been getting this clunk noise as well. Accelerating whilst in traffic and when letting go of the throttle or when braking I can hear this clunk noise coming from the front of the car. I can also feel it in the pedals.
I had a similar problem and it's has just been diagnosed as a dead top mount

MovingShadow":aaa9f6rv said:

Check wheel bolts are tight, ball joints, drop links.

One knock I had a while ago was a wheel bolt slightly loose

markhardy":icdk5qqx said:
MovingShadow":icdk5qqx said:

Check wheel bolts are tight, ball joints, drop links.

One knock I had a while ago was a wheel bolt slightly loose
You're right. I'll check those first!

one of the three, and nothing else. suspension top mount (bounce the car, and watch for any movement in the top mount. no movement? mark that off your list.

anti roll bar bushes, and the best way to identify this is to disconnect the drop links (the bar connecting the shockers to the anti roll bar) and repeating your reverse + brake method as you done perviously. if the noise is gone then bingo

wishbone bushes : jack the car up at the front, get underneath and get a jack underneath the wheel. use a pry bar to pry the bushes, there should be hardly any movement. if you notice movement in the bush, there's your problem :)

hope this helps mate

I've got a knocking noise coming from the front of the car, it only does it when i do sharp right turns, wheel bolts are tight, any ideas?

rstaylor":2h45m59a said:
I've got a knocking noise coming from the front of the car, it only does it when i do sharp right turns, wheel bolts are tight, any ideas?

if you read above. there are also threads on how to check your ball joints, search bar. i've said how to check it all about a thousand times. think i'm going to just reply ''search bar'' to everyone who asks the same thing over and over again from now on.

I had a clunking noise just like you described last year. Took me ages to work out what it was! I went through all the things people have already suggested earlier in the thread. Turned out to be drivers side engine mount gone. Confused the hell out of me but once I'd realised it was that I took it to my local renault and they diagnosed the same problem and replaced it for free even though it was just out of warranty. Nice guys.

Jamie":9l70cx09 said:
I had a clunking noise just like you described last year. Took me ages to work out what it was! I went through all the things people have already suggested earlier in the thread. Turned out to be drivers side engine mount gone. Confused the hell out of me but once I'd realised it was that I took it to my local renault and they diagnosed the same problem and replaced it for free even though it was just out of warranty. Nice guys.
exhaust mount or engine mount it sounds like to me they are quite weak in renaults

Booked it in at Renault after 2 weeks (going on vacation and then I'm moving) to have it checked out.

I've found the culprit

photo3_zps8d79a107.jpg