• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Twingo Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Coil pack

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott87

Reaction score
I have a slight misfire on idle. I have a 1.6 twingo.

I was hoping someone may have one cool pack they know to be good lying around so I can diagnose which of mine has failed.

start the engine, unhook each coil pack one by one as you go. notice any drop in the engine revs? if yes, that's a good coil pack :) if one of them doesn't make the revs drop, that'll be where your miss fire is coming from

obviously this will be a start in hunting down the missfire, the next bit will be checking to see if you have got spark and if you're still lost ..... good old multimeter / live sensor data time, oh the joys scott lol

be sure to check for any brown stains on the coils themselves down nearer the spark plugs. if so, you may have a leak in the scuttle panel. this was a rare but known problem with these cars (luckily, there aren't many problems to be scared of. engines spot on! so is everything else other than wishbone ball joints)

oscar":2ciilfkr said:
obviously this will be a start in hunting down the missfire, the next bit will be checking to see if you have got spark and if you're still lost ..... good old multimeter / live sensor data time, oh the joys scott lol

be sure to check for any brown stains on the coils themselves down nearer the spark plugs. if so, you may have a leak in the scuttle panel. this was a rare but known problem with these cars (luckily, there aren't many problems to be scared of. engines spot on! so is everything else other than wishbone ball joints)

Had all of the coil packs out. Nothing on them. Gave them all a blow with a compressor and cleaned the blocks connecters with wd. The tops of the plugs are clean and dry. No signs of oil or anything else.

When i remove the coil packs from the car one at a time, the revs drop each time. There was a slight difference with one of the packs. Which is why i wanted a good coil to swap out for each of mine in turn to check this more thoroughly.

Unless the issue is the spark plugs themselves. Which i suppose will be the cheapest and easiest test. Speaking of i need a service kit! :)

could be, resistance check the spark plugs to see if the are in tolerance and then measure the electrode gap to make sure it's at 0,9 mm - 1,0 mm. 25Nm Nm torque for the spark plugs, 15 i think for the coils? check below :)

technical-stuff-f120/twingo-renaultsport-maintenace-t371.html

cool, just pm again with what service parts you want and i'll get you them sent out :)

Spot on thanks. My wrench doesn't go that low!

I've Pm'd you :)

Also when u press the stalk in it changes mileage display. Does the one with the spanner mean overdue service? Can't find it in the book I have

The one with the car and a spanner is miles till your next service, I've never ran it down to 0 miles so i dont know what happens then. :lol:

jakeyb19":1ob4hw5j said:
The one with the car and a spanner is miles till your next service, I've never ran it down to 0 miles so i dont know what happens then. :lol:

Haha I wonder if the car just says no.

My car has done 22,000 miles and the screen says 11,000 so it must have been serviced at some point.

scott87":298ytmsk said:
jakeyb19":298ytmsk said:

My car has done 22,000 miles and the screen says 11,000 so it must have been serviced at some point.
When the service countdown reaches zero, the dash warning light spanner comes on which also puts on the stop warning.

As a bit of a guide for lower torque values, when using a 6" ratchet, rather than gripping the handle with all your fingers and grollying everything up well tight, having your thumb on the head and using one or two fingers can be quite handy for smaller bolts. After one of our young riggers kept shearring small bolts, we found these to be average for a few of us, using moderate force
Thumb and first finger - 7 to 10Nm
Thumb and first plus second finger - 10 to 15 Nm

singlespeed":38g4qqqi said:
scott87":38g4qqqi said:
jakeyb19":38g4qqqi said:

When the service countdown reaches zero, the dash warning light spanner comes on which also puts on the stop warning.

As a bit of a guide for lower torque values, when using a 6" ratchet, rather than gripping the handle with all your fingers and grollying everything up well tight, having your thumb on the head and using one or two fingers can be quite handy for smaller bolts. After one of our young riggers kept shearring small bolts, we found these to be average for a few of us, using moderate force
Thumb and first finger - 7 to 10Nm
Thumb and first plus second finger - 10 to 15 Nm

Thanks for that :)

I generally have just used a very small ratchet and nipped the smaller bolts up very carefully, but i'll give this a go.

currently fighting with the misfire still. I popped out and grabbed 1 coil pack and have tried it on all 4 and the misfire is still there. So im thinking that plugs are the next step!

Currently fighting with the thing as my 8mm socket and adapter have some how gotten wedged under the intake manifold and i cannot get them back out! I may be missing a bigger engine already!