Console install?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCplParks

Reaction score
Anyone done a console install on a car before?

I've had the mad idea of putting an N64 in my car, I was thinking I could put the console in the glove box and then have a screen in the visor or cut the dash and slot a screen in there.
Would it be hard to do? the only issue I can think of is the power, due to it coming as DC from the battery I'd probably need some kind of current converter

Thoughts?
Comments?
Help?
TIA

As far as screen goes I think it'd probably be easier to get a head unit with a flip out screen on it and with a tv input. Then for the power I'm not 100% sure what you'd need to make it a clean install as it were. But if the can do it on camper vans then why not cars?!! You should so do it, retro gaming on the move . Plus you wouldn't need a massivly high quality screen as N64's never had HDMI output ;-)

ps. Super Smash Bros ftw :)

LCplParks":2dorrwok said:
Anyone done a console install on a car before?

I've had the mad idea of putting an N64 in my car, I was thinking I could put the console in the glove box and then have a screen in the visor or cut the dash and slot a screen in there.
Would it be hard to do? the only issue I can think of is the power, due to it coming as DC from the battery I'd probably need some kind of current converter

Thoughts?
Comments?
Help?
TIA

Check out a website called www.mp3car.com

Full of people that put pc's, mac minis, game consoles etc in cars. Will also tell u everything u need to do it like current converters etc.

Ive done a couple of pcs for people and will gladly help u out.

Golden eye multiplayer for the win!!

Awesome I'll have a look to see how other people did it and I'll ask you if I get stuck Davey :) cheers dudes

Also the games I've got are all the basics super smash bros. , mario kart and goldeneye that's all I need in my life

Don't forget Perfect Dark, Banjoo & Kazooie, Silicon Valley, Zelda, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, Duke Nukem 64.. ah the memories!

Would be cool though to isntall it in the booth. Park somewhere and game with some friends.

lgonzalez":26aasjeq said:
Lylat Wars :)

Ooooooh right in the childhood

I think I've sussed it, maplin sell a 12v dc to 240v ac power inverter which should do the job for powering it.
The console will have to go under the seat because it won't fit in the glove box.
And as for the monitor I think I'll just get a portable tv monitor jobby!

So watch this space! Roll on payday!
I'll even do a how to if all goes to plan (not that everyone is going to want to put an n64 in their car but it will be transferable)
:D

Ideally you would have the inverter powered from a leisure battery, having that battery charged with a split charge system.

Leisure batteries are better at handling more discharge which would start to kill a normal battery. Also, saves you being stranded unable to start the car

LCplParks":dp07wl5y said:
How do I go about wiring up a leisure battery so it charges off the alternator ?
With a split charging system would probably be the simplest way. You could always wing it and just run from the main battery with the engine running, so the alternator is supplying the voltage that would be provided from a leisure battery. However, if theres more power being drawn through the invertor than the alternator can supply then the battery will still be draining.

One find from Google, with some info>>
https://www.split-charge-relays.co.uk/charging-systems/split-charging-relay-faq.html

Ah right I see I'd rather do it properly to be honest rather than just wing it even though that would be easier
Cheers mate :)

Parks don't do it!

Strip your RS and get some recaro PP like AL did when he had his 133!

Leave all this console in cars shite to the VIP scene with their BMW 7series and Lexus' and mercs!

waitey":3i9mdy2s said:
Parks don't do it!

Strip your RS and get some recaro PP like AL did when he had his 133!

Leave all this console in cars shite to the VIP scene with their BMW 7series and Lexus' and mercs!
+1 dont do it will be a 5 min wonder. i spend £600 on sub and amp + £250 on alpine pop out head unit. i put it all up for sale 3 week's later :cry:

I don't wanna strip out my car though :( I still want it to function as a normal comfy everyday motor and a stripped out car isn't a comfy one :/

LCplParks":12lskph3 said:
I don't wanna strip out my car though :( I still want it to function as a normal comfy everyday motor and a stripped out car isn't a comfy one :/

Recaro pole positions think otherwise, they're suppose to be very comfy ;).