Crackle Map

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did enquire at ktec about this but they recommended the cat was removed which means a new manifold £358 plus the map £300 and with labour ended up about £800

Correction it was £360 for the manifold and then 5 hours labour meaning £718.80 excluding the remap

I'm not sure if Paul at RS would willingly do a crackle map, because as Oscar indicated it will end in a crackle bang goes your exhaust / engine - and who pays for the repair??

I already have their manifold back exhaust system with a sports cat. Would I still need a new manifold? :S

James-Hilton":3lfvfgpx said:
Are the crackle maps not great for the engine/exhaust?
Think about it you are just sending unburnt fuel into your hot exhaust - that's not good for your engine or exhaust - certainly your cat will have a moan :eek: On some cars it can't be helped but you don't want to do this on purpose.

dumping unburnt fuel onto your catalytic converter is on the same level as cutting the oil supply to a turbo, you may as well just decat the thing thing!

james did you ever remember hearing how 'back in the day' folk used to always have their engines decoked where carbon would build up on the valves and manifold and even inside the cylinders themselves due to fuel being poorly monitored and injected. well unless you're handy with the spanners and don't mind doing it yourself every 6 months then you will be looking at 4-6 hours labour a go. cylinder head removal > decoke > reset the timing on the engine > rebuild .... if you don't decat it, then add on the cost of a new cat or second hand cat every 6 months plus labour. not trying to put you off, just telling you the truth that some of these buttholes who do these maps won't tell you :) sure it sounds cool, well i think so anyway

So I'd only have to worry about destroying my engine/exhaust if I didn't decat it? I'd be prepared to decat it but only on the condition it's not gonna knacker anything. I just LOVE the sound of it. Someone in my car park has a crackle map on a Clio 200. Sounds awesome!

You should hear my mates Astra nurburgring as standard haha. Pops and farts without even trying.

I wouldn't purposely get a map to try and get the noise