Crashed the RACECAR :/

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callum-stirling

Reaction score
Crashed last night :/ no cosmetic damage thank god but I think I broke a gearbox mount and shifted the whole engine towards the drivers side chassis leg as my alternator belt is now touching the chassis leg :/ hopefully just a new gearbox mount needed but I have no idea until I get it up on a ramp :/

Unlucky mate! Always find it strange when I hear about a crash where there's no cosmetic damage it's like, where did it hit lol

How did you crash with no cosmetic damage but managed to move the engine....

Did you change from 5th to 2nd with too many revs and destroyed it yourself?

waitey":3dje1jg9 said:
How did you crash with no cosmetic damage but managed to move the engine....

Did you change from 5th to 2nd with too many revs and destroyed it yourself?

I lost the back end, held the slide, but couldnt catch it when it flicked back and it smashed me against the verge which pushed the driveshaft into the gearbox and shifted the whole engine over to the drivers side, but there was no damage to bodywork or anything and it still moves it just doesn't sound right and the alternator belt is touching the chassis leg :/

Don't really think he is gonna lie about crashing.. But very odd!

Sounds bad, but make it sound half ok and get it sold to a dealers, you could possibly get yourself into many problems!?!

BlackTwingo-i":34e5uea6 said:
Don't really think he is gonna lie about crashing.. But very odd!

Sounds bad, but make it sound half ok and get it sold to a dealers, you could possibly get yourself into many problems!?!

I'm hoping its not as bad as it sounds, could be a very cheap repair but if there is more than meets the eye it could be very expensive, we shall have to wait and see :/

Hopefully its just the gearbox mount that sheared due to the sideways loading and the engine/box ended up sitting in a different position. It probably won't sound right as it will now be resting on the subframe so theres no noise/vibration damping as well as the alternator rubbing. The mounts are generally a weak point to limit the damage to that, instead of a cracked casing

Alternatively, the subframe moved over from the impact force transfered through the wheel and lower wishbone, taking up all the free play in the driveshaft. This pushed the gearbox hard enough to break the mounting and push the whole lot over :?

singlespeed":2r123h3p said:
Hopefully its just the gearbox mount that sheared due to the sideways loading and the engine/box ended up sitting in a different position. It probably won't sound right as it will now be resting on the subframe so theres no noise/vibration damping as well as the alternator rubbing. The mounts are generally a weak point to limit the damage to that, instead of a cracked casing

Alternatively, the subframe moved over from the impact force transfered through the wheel and lower wishbone, taking up all the free play in the driveshaft. This pushed the gearbox hard enough to break the mounting and push the whole lot over :?

Your first analogy was exactly what what happened Neil, gearbox mount was completely sheered :) thank god £40 and it's all sorted :) good as new haha
dazebeqy.jpg

Callum-stirling":wyjfpqe7 said:
singlespeed":wyjfpqe7 said:

Your first analogy was exactly what what happened Neil, gearbox mount was completely sheered :) thank god £40 and it's all sorted :) good as new haha
dazebeqy.jpg
Thats not the bit that I expected to fail :?
I expected the bolt/stud that screws into the gearbox bracket and connects to the mount (where the bit has ripped free)

Lucky with the minimum of damage then :)
Time to refit the spare wheel, adding back some weight to the rear end?

singlespeed":27nj9iwi said:
Callum-stirling":27nj9iwi said:
singlespeed":27nj9iwi said:

dazebeqy.jpg
Thats not the bit that I expected to fail :?
I expected the bolt/stud that screws into the gearbox bracket and connects to the mount (where the bit has ripped free)

Lucky with the minimum of damage then :)
Time to refit the spare wheel, adding back some weight to the rear end?

Haha the spare wheel was back in cus I made a big trip the day before and the traction control will be staying on in future :)

luke84":2v4spmzw said:
bad luck mate! :( at least it wasn't on the track. hopefully its back up and running soon to enjoy...

All sorted now :) new gearbox mount thank god 40 quid and took me an hour to fit, I think I was very lucky with the outcome.