Crunching 5th gear

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie

Reaction score
Just fitted the k-tec full exhaust system last week. So thought I might as well change the gearbox oil while I was at it, seen as the drivers side driveshaft has to come out and loose some of the oil through the diff.

I was advised by the parts shop I got the oil from, that the system takes 2.5 litres.
I drained a little over 2 litres out. I know that it won't all come out due to being in all the spaces and gaps in the gearbox.

I then refilled the box with 2.5 litres with the thinking that this was the original oil and some may be lost here and there with the car being 5 years old.

Now when the engine etc is cold, it snaches really badly going into 5th gear.
However when it is warm it goes in as smooth as it ever did. This problem started straight after the oil change. Never done it before. I checked the driveshaft was refitted correctly (even though that shouldn't cause this). No new oil has leaked from the box or diff.
Has anyone else had this problem/ have any suggestions?
Cheers.

4th to 5th is a known problem especially when your using the full rev range. Mine is fine at normal revs but when "on the limit" never wants to go into 5th. Might be nothing to do with this but if you've had a new system I imagine you've been "exploring the rev range" and maybe this is your problem.

Cheers for the advice mate but I think it's fair to say I "explored" the rev range many a time before I changed the system. I've not changed the way I drive it at all. The problem began the morning after I fitted it once everything was cold. All I can think of is that it's something to do with the quantity of oil I've put back in. Might drain it again and double check how much comes out.