Cup vs coilovers - opinions?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KamRS

Reaction score
Had the shocks tested today, rears need to be replaced, with the fronts not being far behind. I have yet to confirm the final price, but over in Poland it looks like there won't be much of a price difference between replacing the 4 shocks and buying a set of BC Racing coilovers (BR series) from kamracing.

I've done some reading on the forum, with people generally being satisfied with BCs (although not sure if with the BR or RM series). However, not really sure if that's down to what they offer ('tunability') and how they compare to a standard Cup setup. Having paid a premium for the Cup pack I'm a bit reluctant to change the suspension, but if the BC BRs are at least as good (in terms of handling, damping etc - not looks, lowering bla bla), then might be no point in going the standard replacement route.

So.. would love to hear some comparison feedback from those who went the coilover route - especially if on a Cup car and double especially if you went with BC BR series ;)

PS Front non Cup shocks for the RS in PL are 145GBP a piece and rear 168GBP (expect Cup to be even more, but couldn't confirm over the phone). Does this sound right or is someone having a laugh and I should just try and source them elsewhere?

Do you have TuV type regulations to comply with?

Try asking Adam for a price of Cup dampers, in the Renault Wolverhampton traders section.

Think they have to be homologated, not sure about the specifics, but the rules should be similar to other EU countries.

On the other hand they're not really enforced, unless easily verifyable (like on headlamps) - I hardly doubt the police would get down on the road and look for homologation stamps on the suspension. The MOT type tests never really verify this kind of stuff either, so let's presume I'd be willing to take the risk.

Adam replied with 40 & 44 quid front/back respectively. Seriously getting pissed off with Renault PL spares pricing policy... think I'll need to write someone an email. Got a quote directly from them at 383 pounds for the rear ... a piece!!!

KamRS":2j2q5j46 said:
Adam replied with 40 & 44 quid front/back respectively. Seriously getting pissed off with Renault PL spares pricing policy... think I'll need to write someone an email. Got a quote directly from them at 383 pounds for the rear ... a piece!!!
£40 x2 fronts
£44 x2 rears
= £168 all round which is the same as a single rear in your first post :evil:

Does Adam do international courier service?

Yes :) 168 was for a non Cup - as I wrote, Cups rears are more than twice that!!

Just have to 100% confirm they're Cup shocks, because the price seems too good to believe ;) Anyone have the part numbers or a UK Cup pack / chassis VIN?

Theres two numbers on them, so heres them all.
Rear with purple ident -
562108671R
0308-100-0128

Fronts with orange ident -
8200750 081
0307-100-0898

I have Twingo RS Weitec coilovers on mine. Although they are quite stiff (which I don't mind), they are less hard than a 133 on H&R springs.

But if I had known, I probably would have went for BC Racing coilovers.

You can also try the GAZ coilovers that soon will be available, thanks to yotah.

I was going to say, cup shocks front and rear are a significant amount more than non cup. Anyone with cup suspension will be better of with bc coilovers in the future when they need replacing

I want to lower my CUP. I am in the debate whether to wait till the suspension needs replacing, fitting lowering springs or just bite the bullet and getting the coilovers. Decisions, decisions...

Roberts":3scpa2z3 said:
I want to lower my CUP. I am in the debate whether to wait till the suspension needs replacing, fitting lowering springs or just bite the bullet and getting the coilovers. Decisions, decisions...

that could be a long wait. it would make more sense financially right now to get the coilovers, it gives you a usable / fully working back up set of OEM shocks and springs to put back on the car should you come to sell her. you'll also be able to hold a fair amount of value when it comes to selling the coilovers, so long as they are in a fair condition with regards to the dampers and piston travel. it's a win win really, whereas you'd have to spend a lot more money if you wanted to sell your car buying OEM shocks or springs (remember that you need to buy two at once)

Me, singlespeed, and maggi and I think a couple of others have had BC RACING coilovers and I seriously rate them, would buy them again in a heart beat, don't think you can get much better without going for r1 or r2 setup but I was quoted £800 a corner by monster sport

Cheers for the advice. I think I will go the coil over route then. Is it worth getting the top mounts included version?

if you are doing track days and that sort of thing, it would be a good idea to get the top mounts but you won't really notice a huge difference on daily driving. the only reason you'd have them is so that you can play around with a little bit extra castor and camber. extra -camber means that you will turn into corners faster, but also increases over steer so on so forth :)

Roberts":195q7xgw said:
Cheers for the advice. I think I will go the coil over route then. Is it worth getting the top mounts included version?
The RM series coilovers from BC Racing include the topmounts :cool:

Yes you can set them very hard ( I think Callum has tried fully hard), but anywhere between 1/3 up to 2/3 hard will cover the cup ride quality. The extra castor avaliable adds a bit of weight to the steering feel and suits the setup quite nicely :)

Right then it is top mounts then won't be getting much change from £700. Are there many "deals" or "discounts" at FCS?

I looked around before I posted and found Kam Racing was the cheapest. Will just have to wait and see for when I decide I'm going to spend £700 on suspension, when there is a house I keep saying I need to save for lol.

Mom - "When are you going to move out?"
Me - "it'll be a little while longer... The Twingo is hungry for parts"