De-wipering

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECG1000

Reaction score
I usually take the rear wipers off my cars because I hate the nasty arc smear they leave on the window.
As soon as I got my 133 I popped the plastic cover off the back door to remove the wiper but was greeted by some weird looking disc things holding the wiper motor to the door.

Anyone know what these are and how to remove them??

Them disc looking things are rivets.

You will need to drill them out to remove the wiper.

I usually dewiper on my cars, but i never got around to it on the twingo for 2 reasons, the rivets are a pain, and then in actual shitty weather its actually come in handy!

Right finally done this so thought I'd do a write up.
Sorry, didn't take any pics during the job, was in my lunch break at work but it's pretty straight forward.

1. Lift open the cap at the base of the wiper and undo nut so it sits flush with the end of the bolt that the wiper blade is attached too.

2. Slot a chunk of wood between the wiper-blade and the car and gently hammer the nut until the wiper comes loose. Undo the nut and pull off the wiper.

3. Open the boot and locate a torque screw inside the handle on the plastic boot/door card thing. Undo screw.

4. Grip the handle, place one hand on the edge of the boot and pull. The plastic boot/door car thing will come away. It requires a bit of force but not too much, else you'll give yourself a black eye.
This will reveal the wiper motor which for some reason is attached to the boot by three massive rivets. I'd never seen rivets this big therefore didn't know what they were, so had to pose the question on here :lol:

5. I used a 5mm drill bit for this part. Drill into the rivet until you need to push hard for it to go any further, stop pushing unless you want to go through the other side of the boot.
Keep the drill spining and rotate it as though you are stirring porridge this will eventually bring the head off the rivet. Do this for each rivet and pull the motor off the door and disconnect the power lead from it. Zip tie the power lead so it doesn't rattle.
I made use of the plastic boot/door card thing here and set it on the bumper to catch all the iron filings that fall from the rivets.

6. This will leave a nasty hole in the door so bung it up with one off these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-1-4-Black-Rubber-Blanking-Grommet-Grommets-Hole-Plug-Bung-Electrical-x-5-/220859552347?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item336c41525b

7. Now clip the plastic boot/door card thing back on. Be sure to hook it over the two hooks nearest the rear window. Press it back in firmly and you'll hear the clips 'click' back into place. There are clips either side of the middle of the boot that require a bit more pressing to get them to 'click' back in.

8. Shut the boot, stand back and admire your car's tidy ass.

2njk1ls.jpg

madmatt":hvof6emb said:
Good write up there :) Any close up pics of the new gromit in place?
Yeah mate. I'll stick them up in a bit. Looks pretty smart as the grommit is the same grey as the plastic. :)

Last winter my rear wiper was a god send, if we have a shite winter again you'll wish you kept it lol

Prabmire":t0k1v2dz said:
Last winter my rear wiper was a god send, if we have a shite winter again you'll wish you kept it lol
All part of the fun.
It's like what they say about low VW's: "If it ain't rubbin, you ain't dubbin" :lol:

I be don't the same. However I didn't quite do it the same. I just twisted mine and it clipped out of one rivet and then just fell out of the rest, possibly a poor piece of work from Renault or massive luck from me. I also removed the black piece you put the bung into whist doing it, and taped my window in case any accidents happened. But all worked out in the end. Found a bung in a minibus I was sat in. That poped strait in. Great write up buddy

I had to have a new tailgate on my Twingo. To swop the wiper motor over I removed the rubber grommets that fitted between the "rivets" and the frame of motor. With some fangling the motor can then be removed. I have yet to put the motor in replacement tailgate...