Deep Scratch Body Repair

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkc89

Reaction score
Chaps,

This is a shout out to everybody who's been unfortunate enough to have their cars keyed. My question is for the people who have had scratches on the same body panel and roughly same severity what have you been quoted, because the quotes I've had range widely. Now I'm a firm believer of 'you get what you pay for' but it just so happens that the cheapest offers are from bodyshops that have good results. One in particular always has lots of audis, bm's and a fair few new cars going through. On one hand don't want to get ripped off but on the other hand would like it resprayed to the point of not knowing it was there.

Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts and experiences of bodyshops, the prices they paid and quality. Cheers!

[URL=https://s834.photobucket.com/u...ms/zz268/jkc89/IMAG0298_zps7261922b.jpg[/img][/url]

Mines in the same place just runs from the drivers door right down to the petrol cap. Its been there for 3 years now because I'm so worried about paying for it to be fixed that it will just get done again.
Mine has faded in time but to get it fixed at a Renault approved body shop they quoted, and I kid you not, top end figure of 700. Think it was something like 787.
Although I will be getting it done soon as its been left long enough I also felt the same as you I wanted it done right but also could it be done cheaper. I firmly believe in you pay for what you get but I think maybe 700 is a bit Much.

Its so disheartening when it happens and it has made me fall out if love with it but I hope you get it fixed soon :)

P.S mine is also black (cup) so know how much the mark stands out!

my last car got keyed! On a a quite road outside my grandparents house. Absolute scum and its a good job I didn't catch them doing it. I ended up using chips away as they have a unit around the corner from me so it wasn't a driveway repair job. They did an excellent job. They come to you and assess the work and give you a price and you can say no if you don't want to go ahead. However, your local chips away could be rubbish

Just gonna throw this out there, but when my door got smashed up, i got a new door, hinges and whatever else needed, INCLUDING full respray and fitting for around £1000..

The materials i believe i payed around £550 for, labour for fitting it was probably and hour or two's work, and the paint job was spot on.. I'de say for a full door respray you should be looking at around £500 max? Although then there may be the added labour cost of sanding and removing the original scratch..?

Wow 700 quid, that sounds like too much. So far ive been quoted twice at around 320 quid and another two at 120 and 170. Out of all the bodyshops the 170 option has the most car turnover.

Mark: yeah chips away are a bit hit and miss, they r franchised if i remember rightly?? So like you said some are good and others.....;)

Blacktwingo: ouch mate, wot appened to ur door? I think the challenge with bodyshops is they arent regulated and u get sum places that quote like they r doing an insurance job. Hard to ascertain

mike that seems about right in price for the door but at least half that 500 was in labour if you consider about 3 or 4 hours labour to strip down your old door to reuse the window motors and move over everything to the new door and the refit of the door itself after paint. my roof, bonnet, front registration beam, rear bumper section and my spoiler all in gloss black cost me £300

I had my full bonnet resprayed for £150. it was keyed about 2/3 across. iv always been told that you should expect to pay around £120 per panel.
for example If its keyed from front wing to the back wing your talking 1 wing, one door and a large rear panel id be expecting to pay around £400 fo the job.

Sounds about right at the £250 mark then, i can get my whole 197 front bumper resprayed for £240inc vat so i wouldn't say any more than that..

I'll not comment on what happdned to the door haha!!
I tend to look for concrete lamp posts more often before reversing from a parking bay though..

Hmmm..sounds gd.

Blacktwingo and oscar: what was the quality of work like for the price paid?

twingo1.jpg
i was very happy with the work and it was a very cheap price. price isn't a reflection of quality though, some shops put out fantastic work and charge pennies using cheaper paints but a cheaper paint if finnished correctly will last just as long as the more expensive paint if taken care of properly. pricing is calculated on area covered which involves the prep etc, time and the consumables such as paint and prep materials. mines was perhaps cheaper than you'd expect because the panels were flat and true

My mate dose painting when my wife's car got smashed in the n/s quarter he charged me £350 to repair it

Oscar: thats a cracking job mate. Thats true, preparation is key, guess im jus gona have to go out on the limb and make a decision. I can always refuse to pay if the work is crap anyway lol

good luck don't be shy to ask for examples of previous work or to have a look at work they have just completed before the customer collects. i think its crap that somebody would key your door, feel for you sir

oscar":jq029fz4 said:
good luck don't be shy to ask for examples of previous work or to have a look at work they have just completed before the customer collects. i think its crap that somebody would key your door, feel for you sir

Ai I've seen a few examples of cars coming out of the baking oven and looked real good. I'm thinking bit like Caz though, in terms of getting it repaired and then having another panel keyed, it would destroy me LOL. On plus side I've got a real good surveillance system set up now and find that I don't get any delinquents hanging round outside. Like you say Oscar it's a shame that people feel the need to express themselves in such a cowardly way. Much rather have a one to one with them.....if you know what I mean :lol:

Unless you have the money to burn why not look into fixing yourself? Could work out a lot cheaper and you'll have learnt something.

J106GTI":21zm37f4 said:
Unless you have the money to burn why not look into fixing yourself? Could work out a lot cheaper and you'll have learnt something.

Not a good idea suggesting someone to do a partial respect themselves for the first time on a car which isn't a wreck.

If he does a bad job it will cost even more to put right and it's not the easiest of things getting the paint to match the rest of the car, if it was some £500 banger go ahead as it's probably a shit car anyway

Thanks for the response either way, but as waitey suggested i'd much rather save up and get it done properly. Only because if I made a mess of it that would do my head in lol.

I did seriously think about a vinyl or sticker bomb wrap design that covers up the scratch but i fear it might make it look a tad rediculous.....

Any of you ever thought about doing the same?

I've had yet another key mark turn up on the car!

So at this rate I'm going to be putting vinyl on the entire fecking car. Great car but jesus christ what is wrong with people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Can't tap into the minds of these sad and pathetic people id love to catch one of these gutless bricks one of the days

jkc89":26byqcio said:
I've had yet another key mark turn up on the car!

So at this rate I'm going to be putting vinyl on the entire fecking car. Great car but jesus christ what is wrong with people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:| hope it doesn't put you off owning the car, was this outside your house man? absolute nuggets who do this need a good toe in the bum ps best remove the word that sounds like brick before you get a toe in the backside from admin lol