Develop iPhone apps

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamstuart

Reaction score
Anyone here develop iPhone apps?

I have been looking into it and it seems the iOS sdk is only avaliable for Snow Leopard, is the no version for windows/linux or do you have to use a mac to develop an iPhone app?

I been looking into it before it is a program u have to buy and it is loaaaadddddsssss of penny's ! And I am using windows

There are a few different developer kits you can use to develop apps for iOS, some of them let you get the program for free, but make you pay for it if you want to actually publish an app. You'll have to pay apple for a developer license as well. ($99 per year IIRC). Think the majority of iOS apps are developed on OSX (and this trend will probably continue with the additional advent of OSX apps coming soon). The problem with some of the windows dev toolkits is that you still have to compile the app on an OSX machine after development - so this is something to check on if you get a windows based iOS developer kit.

I've heard of a few development kits for windows (though cannot give recommendation to any of them as have not used them). (things like AirplaySDK - https://www.airplaysdk.com/ which does have a PC version.

You might find some help and the latest info from apple here https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

Yeah I was looking at the free development one and signed up on the apple site, and they had the SDK to download for mac, the subscription that allowed you to publish to the app store was $99/year. Looks like I need a mac if I want to continue with it :(

i hate Apple and what it stands for :(. Tried setting up one for are Uni class as we were coding for mobile apps and Apple refused us to make even for no profit/resale
easier to program apps for Android based smart phones. What programing language will you be working with?

orbital":1ajzbj92 said:
i hate Apple and what it stands for :(. Tried setting up one for are Uni class as we were coding for mobile apps and Apple refused us to make even for no profit/resale
easier to program apps for Android based smart phones. What programing language will you be working with?

I would also prefer to make apps for Andriod as well to be honest, but its something for work and my boss wants to explore iPhone apps but is not intrested in Android at all. Havent even got as far as thinking programming language its literally something that we are just starting to have a look at over the last few days, I read something saying all iPhone apps are writting in objective C though? My preferance would be VB.net but will see how it goes as we explore more.

iamstuart":1rjukryf said:
orbital":1rjukryf said:

I would also prefer to make apps for Andriod as well to be honest, but its something for work and my boss wants to explore iPhone apps but is not intrested in Android at all. Havent even got as far as thinking programming language its literally something that we are just starting to have a look at over the last few days, I read something saying all iPhone apps are writting in objective C though? My preferance would be VB.net but will see how it goes as we explore more.

I can't say for certain, but I think you'd be hard pushed to find a good iOS developer kit which compiles from VB, and you almost certainly won't for VB.NET. (.NET being the M$ framework). Objective C is the language for this kind of iOS development, although you can find some development toolkits that have their own variants/higher level abstraction to make it simpler for you. I think one of the simplest ones I've seen is called corona, https://www.anscamobile.com/corona/

orbital":23uug6u3 said:

You have to understand where Apple are coming from.

Getting an iPhone/Pad cracked is the one thing they want to stop. Think how much money they are loosing because of free-for-all software on the fastest growing mobile OS ever. Limiting Developer protocols will stop it to some degree and also claw back some of the money.

I guarantee MS would do the exact same if they were popular enough.

most apps on the Adroid base are free, done by people say like my class who wanted to do a project and release it but had to pay for the honour of giving something free. lol

10 out of 11 phones being sold is adroid base, apple got a massive way to go still. Even with windows 7 on there, free made apps can easily still be done.

wishing id learn C++ coding in uni, only offered it to BSc's and not BA's, so many jobs crying out for good C programmers :(

orbital":1kehca86 said:
10 out of 11 phones being sold is adroid base

Really? I find that very hard to believe and even Googled it but nothing came back....

all of the mobo phone manufactoring/software companies apart from Apple use it, even as far as ten years ago. I go in a supermarket, maybe out of 100 odd 15 will have Iphones, the rest other brands which use adroid. They are like MS but low profile and dont mug you off lol. looking at samg next 5 year plan all use it as well as moto, nokia, sharp (there 3d phones were insane 7 years ago, hopefully with the DS3 kicking off they'll relaunch their tech). only really came to light about the Adroid OS name when smart phones popped their head up with HTC and Sharp

A year or so old, but smart phone sales by OS in 2010...

Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 17.39.10.png

and as an FYI, android inc was started in 2003, and bought by Google in 2005. It's a modified version of the linux kernal. Adding to the sales figures above...

Canalys reported that in Q4 2010 the Android operating system was the world's best-selling smartphone platform, dethroning Nokia's Symbian from the 10-year top position. According to Gartner, Symbian is still slightly ahead on sales if some legacy non-Nokia Symbian smartphones are included in the Q4 2010 figures.

nokia were going to be using another linux variant as their phone os (meego), but have recently all but dropped this in favour of an alliance with MS for win phone 7 (Boo! - from a personal prospective)

So what's Android, completely open source?

I think the one that needs to update is RIM - no idea if 6 (I think) is better but my Bold has more issues as the days go by...

Yeah droid is fully open source. You can download the entire source code under an apache license if you feel inclined to do so.

I've sort of liked some blackberrys in the past, but never really been too much of a fan. A bit to business orientated for personal use in my opinion. Their tablet pc the "playbook" does look pretty good from what I've seen of it though.