difference between normal 133 and cup 133

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mostin

Reaction score
Ive had a thought, there must be a notciable difference in weight between a normal 133 and a cup 133. Without aircon and the rest of it, meaning a bog standard no frills no options cup, the cup version ust be considerably lighter.

Do you think this difference in weight would alter the 0-60 time and if so how drastically.

I know they are hardly anything to go by, and are about as unaccurate ah it gets, but using online performance calculators suggest a 0.7 to 0.9 second decrease on 0-60 times assuming a saving of 80kg. With a loss of 100kg they show over a second, theoretically bringing 0-60 times to around 7 seconds give or take.

What are yours thoughts on this?

The weight difference is very minimal as you've mentioned and the 0-60 sprint times would mostly be down to the driver and conditions more than anything I think.

I'll most likely be striping my cup early next year to lose some more weight but at least some major items are done :) Now just the easy stuff!

There was talk of a Santa Pod day recently.. perhaps the answer will be found out then :)

I have the non-cup twingo, and to be honest when i bought the vehcile the sales guy said the only real difference is the size of wheels you get. The suspension is ment to be better on the cup as well.

Thought the discussion was just on weight but yeah wheels are 17" on the Cup... Other differences;
no tints
no sliding seats
no auto lights
no auto wipers
no other pack options
rear shelf doesn't move up with boot lid
no sunroof option
no rear airbag option
no RS monitor option
lower profile tyres
4mm lower
10% stiffer
the list goes on...? lol

but surely the weight gain in comparison cant be that minmal? With aircon and the compressor and condenser thats a good few kilos? auotmatic climate? the seats in the cup are far lighter too

mostin":2fdkjhyp said:
but surely the weight gain in comparison cant be that minmal? With aircon and the compressor and condenser thats a good few kilos? auotmatic climate? the seats in the cup are far lighter too
Unfortunately that is the only weight difference between the two. Renault don't really publicise that either, if you check tech specs they show no difference.

Both are really quite fat little cars - over a tonne each...

...and it's mainly down to safety features - airbags, abs, traction control, all that stuff adds LOTS of weight.

Years ago I had a Citroen AX GT - 1400cc, no fuel injection, only 85bhp but quicker 0-60 still than the Twingo. And it had central locking, electric windows and all that. BUT virtually no safety gear, and plastic panels for tailgate etc, so it only weighed about ¾ what the Twingo was. You wouldn't've wanted to hit anything in it, though :roll:

Matt":qlbn0w28 said:
no tints
no sliding seats
no auto lights
no auto wipers
no other pack options
rear shelf doesn't move up with boot lid
no sunroof option
no rear airbag option
no RS monitor option
lower profile tyres
4mm lower
10% stiffer

If you this list which covers most of the differences the only things on that list that would make a difference to the make a reasonable difference in weight are the seats and the lack of aircon. All the other options are to cut down on the cost of the car to make the Cup minimal frills and maximum fun for your money.

So taking those differences into account, what's the likely weight difference? Probably not even 30 or 40kg, that would be enough to warrant a difference. Realistically it's probably less than a 20kg difference. On the road, that's going to make virtually no difference, in fact on the track it'd probably make no difference either.

Also, that kind of weight could be the difference between a heavy driver and a small driver. I weight over 100kg but could be in a Cup, someone in a Gordini (probably the heaviest) who weights 60kg. Chances are the cars are virtually even.

That kind of weight difference is pretty trivial when it comes to the actual performance. The beauty of the Cup is more the cash saving than weight saving.

Having said that if you start with a Cup, then start stripping you're onto a winner. If you could shave 100kg off the weight of the car you'd notice a difference. Having said that, I do recall Top Gear stripping a car and it actually being slower round the track. They took a Pug 207GT, got the Stig to do a lap time then stripped it out completely and went round again. It was slower because the car was less balanced and didn't handle as well, don't forget a car is designed to be the weight it is.

Clio Cup is said to be only about 20kg lighter than standard Clio RS, so I see no way for different numbers with Twingo :roll: But without those auto lights, wipers etc., it should be at least more reliable :)

The Cup is 10kg lighter than the non-Cup.

Just to add, all the referenced kerb weights always include a full tank of pertrol and 75kg driver allowance. So in my car, getting in the car I'm less than 75kg.

For 10kg difference it's not worth buying one either way based on performance differences.

As I think I said above, it's more about saving yourself some cash but getting the same driving fun.

Alex_225":2006d2bn said:
As I think I said above, it's more about saving yourself some cash but getting the same driving fun.

That is exactly Renault's focus and point. Relatively (R26.R excluded) all RS's "Cup" models have very little different weight wise as a % to their "FF" brothers. The point to was to get similar thrills for less money. The 200 of course, taking this a step further by altering the suspension set ups where as the 133 is the same (when optioned of course).

arney":2z4flkck said:
Not alot performance wise tho which is all that counts ;)

apart from weight being one of the most important factor of performance ;)

TURBO":1x57hw1z said:
arney":1x57hw1z said:

I was hoping someone else would notice this lol

TURBO":2xptulj6 said:
arney":2xptulj6 said:

Tell that to some members on TOC last year - apparently it doesn't, and more importantly and specifically especially doesn't on my car!

anyone that thinks it doesnt prob cant tie there own shoe laces or spell there own name!!!

alot of people who "like" cars get obessed with chasing power and spend mad amounts of cash but dont have a clue on how to make a car go faster!!!

TURBO":2f8qauxk said:
alot of people who "like" cars get obessed with chasing power and spend mad amounts of cash but dont have a clue on how to make a car go faster!!!

Ahem to that - hence why I've left my engine standard and removed 10% of the cars weight ;)