Different width tyres front and back

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titicaca

Reaction score
Hi guys don't know if this is a stupid question. I have a 133 Gordini with standard 195 40 17 tyres. The fronts now need replacement whereas the back still have plenty of life left.

I am hoping to replace using 205 40 17 as they are cheaper and more readily available. However I am just wondering do they need to be replaced both front and rear? What happens if I replace the front with 205 40 17 and keep the back as 195 40 17 until they worn out then change them to 205 as well?

Has any one ever tried? Will this pass the MOT? Will it affect the handling? I have had many RWD cars with different width tyres, but not seen FWD cars with these differences.

Many thanks in advance.

no probs, my GT has 205's on the back and 195's on the front on 17 inch wolfies and ime gonna put 20mm spacers on soon, mot ok

205/40 17 is the same size fitted on Renault Wind that has the same chassis. No problem

So long as you change them in pairs across the same axle it should be okay. The worst thing that my local garage said could happen is that it could mess a bit with your traction control. No idea how true that is though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jml":jwc6ck4p said:
So long as you change them in pairs across the same axle it should be okay. The worst thing that my local garage said could happen is that it could mess a bit with your traction control. No idea how true that is though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Very true. The best thing to do would be to have the wider set at the back of the car rather than the front. This way you would be more likely to understeer rather than oversteer. Understeering is a lot safer than oversteering usually.

i need to change tyres too.... i dont know should i buy 205/45/17 so the height would be as fronts 195/40/17 ?
I also heard it is better to put wider on rear...

I know this is like ghost forum, but have to say twingo is totally transformed with Nankang NS2R, i would say insane level of grip and control... far from that it sucked with conti's sc3, but this is much better...

Picture(the day i took picture was with two contis on front, but few days later i put all 4's NS2R):