Discs and Pads change/upgrades

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagseye

Reaction score
the time will be coming soon to change the front and rear discs. I'm thinking of going genuine but wanted to know if anyone here has used aftermarket or performance with better results. I tend to use the car as a weekend thrasher on twisty roads so looking for something with exceptional stopping!!

Cheers

Morgan

I used KTR grooved discs (for clio 172) and EBC greenstuff pads. nice combo. you have to be careful with the brake-in layer though... After a week of careful braking-in, I gave it the beans and easily managed to overheat the brakes. But after that compound was off, the pads did never overheat again.

CIMG1679.JPG

The pads were good for 2 years and now I just ordered the next set. This time with Brembo high carbon discs (plain, no grooves).

I used apec discs and pads on my car. Was really pleased with them but i dont think u can beat oem with decent fluid and some braided brake lines

Personally going for OEM discs and Carbone Lorraine race pads, but my car is a track day toy, so not so much for road use. Otherwise, a good set of Ferodo DS2500 is definitely good for daily road use.

I use them as daily pads for the road. Better than stock, no noise, not much dust so far, and wear is reasonable compared to stock, with a better feeling on the brakes.
However after driving with the race pads, even the Ferodos feel like when you´re braking, it´s only the wind slowing you down...

Sweet! Oh wait, you are using the Performance ones, right? I'll buy them anyhow as they seem better for sporty road use than ds2500. What is the difference between the two in fact?

Matthias":23ekdcp4 said:
Sweet! Oh wait, you are using the Performance ones, right? I'll buy them anyhow as they seem better for sporty road use than ds2500. What is the difference between the two in fact?
If you drive at the same pace as Yotah and also have track orientared grippy tyres, then the Carbon Loraine RC6 pads that he uses will be fine. If you drive quickly and have normal tyres then the CL RC6 would hardly get up to temperature and when they do, the tyres will be locking up... Stick with either standard fit Renault pads, Ferodo DS2500, Mintex 1144 or if you wish, maybe greenstuff

Well actually the Carbone Lorraine offer a very good braking power even when cold, much better than Ferodos or OEM pads. But their lifespan is very limited if you compare them to OEM pads on normal road use.
The main main main main issue (i insist, the MAIN issue!!!) with Carbone Lorraine is that they hate salt. So not for use in the winter, as they basically completely dissolve in a few seconds if you drive on a salted road with them!

yotah1":2emuobi5 said:
Well actually the Carbone Lorraine offer a very good braking power even when cold, much better than Ferodos or OEM pads. But their lifespan is very limited if you compare them to OEM pads on normal road use.
The main main main main issue (i insist, the MAIN issue!!!) with Carbone Lorraine is that they hate salt. So not for use in the winter, as they basically completely dissolve in a few seconds if you drive on a salted road with them!
Thanks Anthony. I was bassing my previous comments on the CL RC6 being simillar specs to Pagid RS14 which I have previously used (simillar usage, friction coeficients hot/cold and similar max temp). Yes, cold friction was brilliant and way better than standard road pads but once thoroughly warmed, they worked a little too well for road tyres and the EBS /ESC was dangerous if you forgot to switch it off. They also ate discs faster than the pad which was rather expensive and produced brake dust which rusted on the wheels. They were fine with winter up here and weren't affacted by the large amounts of salt we get but they were realy overkill for road use IMO.

Best to keep CL RC6 for circuit use from your salt comments :?

Ok, I don't do much track days, so I'd prefer pads for everyday use that are better than the stock ones. Have to decide between Ferodo DS2500, Ferodo Performance and Mintex ones. Can someone quickly sum up the pros and cons? Sry for bothering you :oops: Also, is it wise to change front and rear at the same time, even though rear ones probably have 20% of stopping power?

some excellent info here. Looks to me that the best combo for road use is OE discs and upgrade the pads. Thanks for the info

Matthias, as long as your rear pads are not worn out, keep them on the car Braking power is definitely more on the front, and the rear is mostly here to stabilize the car a bit, and having to much braking power on the rear can be dangerous, as I discovered while hitting the brake pedal to avoid a crash on the Nurburgring, doing approx 165kph. I ended up almost losing the car and went through the crash zone completely sideways...

I would recommend Ferodo DS2500 for road + light track use. They withstand heat pretty well, much better then the OEM pads at least! And they aren't super expensive like the Carbone Lorraine pads.