Dried oil on paintwork can not get it off >_< ?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostZ

Reaction score
So as the tittle says it when the car went in maintenance someone at the garage seemed to spilled a drop of oil (looks brown yellow ish) i think on the paintwork and it dried off i have cleaned the car then used bug and tar remover .. no result then i used meguairs clay bar ... no result my Q was can i maybe get it of with Meguairs scratch X 1.0 or will that worsen it ... anyone got ideas ??

Munson001":2rrn9f88 said:
Wet sand or compound with a da will get rid..

I wouldn't blindly have a go at wet sanding without extensive experience.

If iron x, claying and alot of elbow grease won't budge it, try get it booked for a paint correction at a detailing place.

If you wernt in Belgium I would say bring it along and il take a blast with the DA

Munson001":2g2uorqs said:
I've wet sanded my whole car .. Never had any issues ..

That's you not the OP as wet sanding is so extreme and can ruin a car if you don't know how to do it.

So suggesting someone to take sanding paper to their car is abit daft, especially on a gordini, plus I doubt ghost has ever wet sanded a car as its a very rare thing to do :lol:

I'm sorry but sand paper on your car. That's just mad

Wet sandings not rare!!!! Body shops have been doing it for years.. Do some research ..
Gordini lol it's just a ltd run of twingos the same as any other twingo really.
Oh & wet sanding will only take a few microns off the clear coat ..
Have a look on the detail world forum & you will see the results .. Oh & iron x is only for fall out & no need to clay after that..

Wet sanding can be necessary. But in this case it isn't

I love forum suggestions in threads like this. I often read them and laugh at the people who clearly have no clue or love to show off they've got a slight amount of skill and totally over suggest

maggi112":3zc48d0c said:
Wet sanding can be necessary. But in this case it isn't

I love forum suggestions in threads like this. I often read them and laugh at the people who clearly have no clue or love to show off they've got a slight amount of skill and totally over suggest
So rather than laugh at everyone else how about give your suggestion

That no over suggesting .. I've been detailing cars on & off for about 8 years & I have yet to find a mark on a car I can't remove ..
So maggi112 what do you suggest???

First, you need to be sure of what it is. Was it oil? If so, was it contaminated?

Even baked on oil will come off with a bit of tar remover. I suspect this may be something that has eaten into the paint.

Munson001":znexzxgt said:
Wet sandings not rare!!!! Body shops have been doing it for years.. Do some research ..
Gordini lol it's just a ltd run of twingos the same as any other twingo really.
Oh & wet sanding will only take a few microns off the clear coat ..
Have a look on the detail world forum & you will see the results .. Oh & iron x is only for fall out & no need to clay after that..
maybe mentioning 2000 and 3000 grit paper would be good. Most people think 600 or 1200 is very fine, but those are way too harsh for removing imperfections in the top coat as they could easily take off a lot of laquer and need a lot ot buffing to remove the haze thats left

With the total thickness of paint infront of my left rear wheel being below 50micron, Even with a thickness gauge, I would be wary of any correction techniques that could potentialy take off a couple of micron before refining the finish.

Your right Singlespeed. I should have mention the grades of wet & dry paper . My paint in places is thin & also soft as long as you keep away from the edges then mines been fine . & there's no way im saying you should do it on a weekly basis . But the quality of finish is second to none .
I have found 1200 then 2500 finishing with 3000 will only leave very fine marks then polish with good old meguiars 83 or 80 on a chemical guys hex pad 1 pass @ 2500 rpm then 1 @ 3000 job done....

thanks for all the reply's guys i will try to go to a detailer shop causing sanding my car even thinking about it i will go nuts if i screw something up and i have 0 experience in sanding anything , as stated above i could not get it of with tar remover or clay bar ... so i think best option get to a pro who knows about it more then i do ;)

Ghost maybe this is destiny calling you back to England for the evo triangle run as isn't it MadMax who owns CLB car care in Wales from meganesport?

Could be able to strike a deal with him whilst visiting the UK ;)