Engine Bay

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveyb133

Reaction score
Got the day off tomorrow and after filling up my washers last night i decided that my engine bay is a state and needs sorting out.

I had an oil lieak from the Kam Cover Gasket and Renault sorted it under warranty but its left oil everywhere, why they didnt clean it off, i have no idea.

Previously ive tried TFR and the Autoglym under bonnet stuff and nothing has worked.

Im thinking Brake Cleaner but wondered what other people thought first

Daveyb133":15ek3qj2 said:
Got the day off tomorrow and after filling up my washers last night i decided that my engine bay is a state and needs sorting out.

I had an oil lieak from the Kam Cover Gasket and Renault sorted it under warranty but its left oil everywhere, why they didnt clean it off, i have no idea.

Previously ive tried TFR and the Autoglym under bonnet stuff and nothing has worked.

Im thinking Brake Cleaner but wondered what other people thought first

One thing about brake cleaner.... dont get it in your eye. fook me the pain

What about an all purpose cleaner. Something like Daisy APC from Tesco is highly rated. Would imagine it'd have a degreaser in it that would break down the oil.

Once you've got all the oil off, if you give the engine bay a wipe over once a month with a microfibre and quick detailing it'll stay looking clean with minimal effort. Easy to do with a new or nearly new car. :)

Alex_225":9s5prvt0 said:
What about an all purpose cleaner. Something like Daisy APC from Tesco is highly rated. Would imagine it'd have a degreaser in it that would break down the oil.

Once you've got all the oil off, if you give the engine bay a wipe over once a month with a microfibre and quick detailing it'll stay looking clean with minimal effort. Easy to do with a new or nearly new car. :)

Agreed, APC is probably the way to go. Use it neat though, as it's dirt cheap anyway and you'll need it to be as concentrated as possible (that is assuming you get a liquid APC, some of them are probably too thick to use neat).

i got loads of that, i use it on my interior but watered down, its the best pound ive ever spent, will give that a try first then, and if not, brake cleaner it is, cheers guys

Coca Cola?
Then wash off.

I think I'll use the brake cleaner method myself, I used steel wool as well to take the oxidation off the Inlet Manifold.
It will do until someone *cough: Orb* switches his Inlet for ITBs and lends me his while I get mine ported and polished, then painted Crackle Red. :lol:

M

well. ive been at it for a few hours and its still crap but its a damn site better than it was. ive tried daisy, tfr, parafin, brake cleaner, metal cleaner and nothing has got the oil off, its set forever it looks like

heres a few pics after i finished, sorry about the thumb, new iphone, not used to where the camera is :oops:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 427
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 427
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 427
madmatt":1vmz9p9w said:
Coca Cola?
Then wash off.

I think I'll use the brake cleaner method myself, I used steel wool as well to take the oxidation off the Inlet Manifold.
It will do until someone *cough: Orb* switches his Inlet for ITBs and lends me his while I get mine ported and polished, then painted Crackle Red. :lol:

M

haha i came so close to doming mine until i realised my dremel had one speed working, fastest! lol

nice clean bay there :)

i used tesco bathroom foam to sit for 5 mins then an iron bush and 2000 wet and dry quickly over the top

To do the inlet manifold i just use brake cleaner and a airline with a blower on the end

Hello there - hope you don't mind, but I used your picture of the drivers side half of your bonnet in a post I just put up - you're picture was a perfect close up of something which is missing from my car, and causes my alarm to lose it's shit every time I try to lock it!

technical-and-paint-information/what-wold-this-little-bit-bonnet-trim-called-t10851.html

Will take it down again if you're not happy with this of course.

Cheers,

Ben.