ESP switch

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaylor

Reaction score
030_zps4a5c7fc6.jpg

Does anybody ever turn this off? It resets back on evertime you start the car, I've never had ESP on any previous cars i've owned so i plan to turn it off when the weather gets better and i go thrashing some b-roads.

With it on, does the light actually ever flash? If everything is well (tyre pressures all correct etc) you would probably need to be doing something special to get the light flashing too often anyway.

maggi200":11uy5zot said:
With it on, does the light actually ever flash? If everything is well (tyre pressures all correct etc) you would probably need to be doing something special to get the light flashing too often anyway.

I've had the car 4 months now and i've seen the light flash once, that was when i drove through a huge puddle at speed on the motorway.

Mine used to flash occasionally and was never that intrusive.

I'm pretty sure it saved my skin when the left rear tyre got a pothole puncture on a twisty road on the west coast

maggi200":5rqqvu76 said:
So then, why the need to turn it off?

Wondered if anyone had noticed any difference in the handling with it off, i've not been able to drive the car hard enough in corners yet to see, with the roads being wet for months.

rstaylor":166r0mdz said:
maggi200":166r0mdz said:

Wondered if anyone had noticed any difference in the handling with it off, i've not been able to drive the car hard enough in corners yet to see, with the roads being wet for months.

you can actually go as fast as possible in a corner (what you think is safe ofc.) and get massive under steer and turn the wheel on full lock and flat throttle you can spin your tires while getting massive understeer like a real hoonigan :D <- proved and tested ! (on race track)

also if you want to "try" this out without ESP i would suggest go around a quite roundabout and increase your speed while going around the roundabout with ESP ON you will feel it cutting of power and braking individually the front wheels

so after this take the ESP off and increase your speed until you feel that you are getting understeer and the backend try to come around also :D (prepare for counter steering) <- proved and tested on damp road with winter tyres :p

also i find the ESP system is pretty good with the standard CUP 17 inch rims on the conti SC 3 tyres , you can go pretty far before it bugs you arround

but i also tested this with my lightweight buddyclubs also 17 inch but with Pirelli Pzero Nero GT tyres same specs as the conti , but the system seemed more harsh and unsure about the change the car is driving with these tyres , so i somethimes take it off not to bug me

also if you are sorth of unsure and afraid to take it off then dont and learn your boundaries of how far you can push your twingo , if you see that you can go further then the system thinks , try to take it off then ;)

jra3d":3vy5ouox said:
I normally drive with it on unless I wanna be a tool with a little lift off oversteer
Witnessed this mans driving

GhostZ":28dk6j72 said:
rstaylor":28dk6j72 said:
maggi200":28dk6j72 said:

you can actually go as fast as possible in a corner (what you think is safe ofc.) and get massive under steer and turn the wheel on full lock and flat throttle you can spin your tires while getting massive understeer like a real hoonigan :D <- proved and tested ! (on race track)

also if you want to "try" this out without ESP i would suggest go around a quite roundabout and increase your speed while going around the roundabout with ESP ON you will feel it cutting of power and braking individually the front wheels

so after this take the ESP off and increase your speed until you feel that you are getting understeer and the backend try to come around also :D (prepare for counter steering) <- proved and tested on damp road with winter tyres :p

also i find the ESP system is pretty good with the standard CUP 17 inch rims on the conti SC 3 tyres , you can go pretty far before it bugs you arround

but i also tested this with my lightweight buddyclubs also 17 inch but with Pirelli Pzero Nero GT tyres same specs as the conti , but the system seemed more harsh and unsure about the change the car is driving with these tyres , so i somethimes take it off not to bug me

also if you are sorth of unsure and afraid to take it off then dont and learn your boundaries of how far you can push your twingo , if you see that you can go further then the system thinks , try to take it off then ;)

Thanks for the info, sounds like you had fun testing it out :D i'll have to do some experimenting ;)

I only switch it off on track cos I don't drive like a tw@ on the road so there's no point. lol

No point having this on the GT the torque overpowers it,

Oh yeah e-ballz

LC":2aib83za said:

Oh yeah e-ballz

With both the GT and 133 is standard form a 133 has more torque than a GT.

With them both modded... well let's just wait and see what Neil makes but parks is definitely making more torque than a modded GT with his NOS :lol:

Back on topic, turn it off in the dry and its great, you don't need to drive like a tw@t to feel the difference, unless you're a bad driver.... :|

LC":2e7z4tga said:

Oh yeah e-ballz
In which case, get some better tyres or sort the chassis to take it :shock:

Mines come on a few times in bad weather and if I've gone round a roundabout to fast which isn't often! But I've drove like a twat once or twice with it off and it's can get slidy in the wet I think anyways

waitey":x25fuq9q said:
LC":x25fuq9q said:

Oh yeah e-ballz

With them both modded... well let's just wait and see what Neil makes but parks is definitely making more torque than a modded GT with his NOS :lol:

Back on topic, turn it off in the dry and its great, you don't need to drive like a tw@t to feel the difference, unless you're a bad driver.... :|

LC - You are talking absolute crap. ESP is an extension of the ABS system and is computer controlled. Ferrari have ESP, Nissan GTR R35 has ESP, the list goes on. it's not eballz, just that you're talking ballz. as are a few other folk to be polite.

Waitey - what are you even talking about? what has torque got to do with ESP. good grief man lol!

OP - i'm wondering, do you notice much of a difference with the esp on? usually i've found that ESP is good in the wet, it will aid you in any skids or hydroplane situation where things can become tricky much faster than you can think but i completely agree that ESP is best kept off in the dry, more so on spirited b road drives than anywhere else!

oscar":1kw6d8l3 said:
waitey":1kw6d8l3 said:
LC":1kw6d8l3 said:

Oh yeah e-ballz

LC - You are talking absolute crap. ESP is an extension of the ABS system and is computer controlled. Ferrari have ESP, Nissan GTR R35 has ESP, the list goes on. it's not eballz, just that you're talking ballz. as are a few other folk to be polite.

Waitey - what are you even talking about? what has torque got to do with ESP. good grief man lol!

OP - i'm wondering, do you notice much of a difference with the esp on? usually i've found that ESP is good in the wet, it will aid you in any skids or hydroplane situation where things can become tricky much faster than you can think but i completely agree that ESP is best kept off in the dry, more so on spirited b road drives than anywhere else!

i have to agree on this i <3 this system in the wet you can get the backend out and then it kicks in :p and says NO NO YOU NO GO SIDEWAYS NOW >_>