Failed first MOT :(

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

133Crieff

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So my twingo went for its first MOT this morning and failed :cry:

Its done just under 19K miles and with be 3 on the 11th. It failed on the bottom ball joint covers, they've perished and are letting dirt in.

Been on the phone with the dealer I got it from and they're going to have a look at it. I'm really annoyed that it failed its first MOT and really surprised that the ball joint covers have worn out after only 3 years. The dealer knows I'm not happy so will hopefully get done under warranty, they were also really quick at booking it in for them to look at this afternoon. I have a feeling that it won't be a warranty job though as the part is classed as a ware and tare item. Fingers crossed and I'll update on what the garage says.

Ah that may explain why they were pretty quick in getting it in to look at. Thanks for the quick response.

Hopefully the dealer can sort it today if they have the parts and my garage said they should be able to retest it this afternoon if i'm back in time.

I would guess there will be a bit of a wait. They have to replace the whole lower suspension arms, as renault do not supply the rubber components on their own.

Welcome btw. Just realised that was your first post.

The work itself isn't very much, 3 bolts a side and slot the new part in.

But as said, they need to inspect it to satisfy themselves that it needs replacing, then get them in and then have a free mechanic/bay to get it done.

Well today went pretty well. Took the car in for 2:00 and at 2:30 the girl from the service desk came and told me that it is a warranty job and they have the parts in. So it got sorted this afternoon and retest is first thing tomorrow morning. Excellent service from Ness motors in Perth. It's just a shame that the car has needed two jobs done under warranty in the three Years I've had it. But at the same time it's lucky that the warranty has covered both problems.

wrighty94":2pjdct6q said:
Mine is a 58 plate which has done 11000 miles and mine have split but I dunno of they'll do it under warranty

Best to take it in to your Renault dealer and see what they say. They might still do it under warranty with it having such a low mileage. If it can't be done I don't think the parts are too expensive, the labour to fit them will probably cost more.

I had three annoying warranty jobs in the space of 8 months of ownership, one of which was the ball joints/suspension arms

Explains why i no longer have the car.

Pity because the twingo RS delivers an engine/exhaust note which is superb even when not trying with the airbox bung removed.
Great handling, just so poorly put together in some respects and some design issues in others.

I so wanted to love my Gordini but it grated on me.

Back in Honda ownership its amazing that ive gone a whole 5 months without a visit to the dealership. I'd forgotten what reliability felt like.

Still have an 8yo clio cup though, and the mrs just WONT be without it.

My first warranty job was a new steering column. The steering would sometimes get really heavy and then light and there was sometimes a horrible grinding noise like there was gravel in the steering wheel. Over the three years I've some little things have grated on me as well. Mostly the build quality, it didn't take long for it to get a bit creaky and rattly. But I guess you can't expect too much from a cheap little french hot hatch.

The car will be going back on the 11th of September as this is when my finance deal is up. I do have the opportunity to buy it outright but after 3 years of bouncing around and loud road noise I've had enough. I will miss the handling and the nippyness of it but that's all I'll miss. I need something a bit bigger and more practical now anyway.

I have my Wind for 2,5 years and I lost count how many times I've had things fixed under warranty..

2 steering wheels, the entire radio unit (+ USB/jack connection), door stop, re-alignment of the roof, sunvisor repair, centre console around the shifter (the garage damaged it).

Got the car back from its retest and everything is fine.

What the mechanic did say was the parts that needed to be replaced were of very low quality and so are the new parts :/ My advice is to go get your twingo check before it gets its MOT. The mechanic has also found that the seam on the silencer is leaking and has suggested I talk to the dealer about it. Will pop in tomorrow and see what they say.

133Crieff":1eqepdl3 said:
Got the car back from its retest and everything is fine.

What the mechanic did say was the parts that needed to be replaced were of very low quality and so are the new parts :/ My advice is to go get your twingo check before it gets its MOT. The mechanic has also found that the seam on the silencer is leaking and has suggested I talk to the dealer about it. Will pop in tomorrow and see what they say.

I had this problem with my exhaust on the middle silencer ,had it replaced under warranty and took it straight off and replaced it with a k-tec one so have a brand new one to go bk on if I ever sell it lol

133Crieff":3buahaxz said:
wrighty94":3buahaxz said:
Mine is a 58 plate which has done 11000 miles and mine have split but I dunno of they'll do it under warranty

Best to take it in to your Renault dealer and see what they say. They might still do it under warranty with it having such a low mileage. If it can't be done I don't think the parts are too expensive, the labour to fit them will probably cost more.

Yh ball joint cover kit ain't to expensive

wrighty94":2rbtyx6h said:
133Crieff":2rbtyx6h said:
wrighty94":2rbtyx6h said:

I thought they had to replace the whole arm as the ballpoint doesn't come separate and is a ~£600 job which isn't cheap :lol:

waitey":tittpnyj said:
wrighty94":tittpnyj said:
133Crieff":tittpnyj said:
wrighty94":tittpnyj said:

I thought they had to replace the whole arm as the ballpoint doesn't come separate and is a ~£600 job which isn't cheap :lol:

Yep, Renault do have to replace the whole arm. Any further discussion on the ball joints, shall we move over to the main thread to keep it all in one place.

https://www.twingo133.net/suspension-and-brakes/suspension-bushings-t2955.html

wrighty94":3swkg8c0 said:
You can get a ball joint cover kit I've done it to my clio before! No need to changing while arm
If you catch the boot before it has split and allowed grit and water into the joint, you may be able to rescue it. If not and the joing has started to degrade, then its a new arm unless you actually know of a replacement balljoint to save us guessing which of the ones we have shortlisted may fit... If you do, please mention it in the thread Andrew linked to in the post above