Flowcutting/Laser Cutting Carbon Fiber/Kevlar?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmatt

Reaction score
Hi All,

Bit of a....different, question here.
Does anyone know if you could Flowjet or Laser Cut Pre-Preg Carbon Fiber Sheet?

It's for a bit of a future idea to replace facia plates/heater control plates/Gauge Clusters and switch panels...

I would have thought Flowjetting would be the most suitable option oposed to Laser Cutting...which I think would be a bit like cutting cheese with a Plasma Cutter.

Anyone know?

Cheers
Matt

I'd assume Flowjetting would be better, but then you would need to re-laquer *Sp* the carbon fibre

you can use hard metal milling cutter and point, i use that..try work kevlar pieces is hard, but thin carbon/kevlar panel easily..if you'll do this job by your self at home i mean..if you'ill pay some one fo do that is another speech

I think metal milling would be too....messy...for fiber based composites tbh.

Will keep in mind the idea of flowjetting :) cheers guys

Carbon seems to cut easily and neat with a Dremmel and cutoff wheel. Carbon/Kevlar ended up with a fluffy edge, even with a carbide cutting wheel. This may have been due to the resin not fully penetrating the Kevlar strands and firmly binding them into place which could have happened with a wet layup and no vacume packing.

Fully bonded, either of them should cut/trim easily enough, but that may mean vacume forming with cloth/resin or prepreg

If you make a template of the shapes you require, and are happy that theyre the right size, just send them off to be digitised/scanned by the water jet cutter, they should have (or know someone who has) a scanner.

Theyll generate a *.nc file from the scan and be able to cut the material exact (instead of you having to dimension it and get someone to draw it in cad)

Drop me a PM if you need any more help matt.