Front shocks have different numbers?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmainwaring01

Reaction score
Just a question about the front suspension... I've lowered it 30mm on the front and 40mm in the back, and the front left sits about 10mm higher than the right. I have had the springs off twice and made sure they were seated properly so I looked at the part numbers of the shocks.

They have different part numbers and they are different designs with the passenger shock seeming like the spring gets more compressed as the cup sits higher up avocet the wheel than the drivers side...

Has anyone any idea as to what the design of these are to compensate? It's providing me with some funky steering feelings too when accelerating and I've just had brand new tyres, and had the wheels aligned with balancing.

a spring damper plays absolutely no part in ride height, that is the spring and the spring only so it's your springs you should be asking the question about and not the damper. the only job a damper does is to reduce spring oscillations or rebound. perhaps you got a dodgy set of springs there. the only way to tell would be to swap sides on the front springs and see if the 10mm difference in trim height still exists.

That's what I'm gonna do today after work, it's puzzling me. Any reason for the difference in design for the shocks though? Cheers for getting back to me.

You need to check the dimension of the spring when fitted to the shock (spring seat to top mount), if the passenger side is more compressed - in other words the overall length of the spring is less then it will be higher on that side - basic principals of height adjustable coilovers using your spring rate to change the ride height (this assumes that the springs are the same rating as well) - if this proves not to be the case then as Oscar said you need to check your springs with the supplier.

If you say the shocks are different then it might be worth looking at a matched pair as someone may have done the unthinkable and changed one side only. :roll:

The dampers are the standard ones for the car, I honked renault for assurance that a muppet didn't just change one haha. It looks to me that the passenger side is more compressed due to the shocks

sorry i forgot to mention, this is something that is common to all cars with right hand drive. the reason for this is down to the camber in our roads with the road surfaces being lower on the left side of the road than the right for water drainage purposes so it is only natural that the left side is slightly higher than the right side. it also affects the TOOT angle, for example when you're stationary turn the wheel all the way to the left and watch the front of the car bump up and down as you turn to full left lock from full right lock.

this is a very common issue in factory set ups, especially with BMW's but this isn't desired for more 'spirited' driving applications shall we say. if you want to even the ride height out you'll need suspension with adjustable ride height!

I run around 5 - 6 mm difference in the spring set height both front and back - this being on the drivers side only - this gives me a pretty level ride height. Plus remember my springs have a harder rate than stock. I'm running B14 Bilsteins which are also the same fitment for a GT.

One thing you also need to account for is the balance of the weight, the engine and fuel tank favour the drivers side which again impacts on your ride height - hence my set-up.

It's great when the car follows the camber of the road - it just feels right. ;)