funny noise after fitting coilovers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex12fowler

Reaction score
I fitted my coilovers on my twingo and when i sit at tickover the car makes a weird clanging noise. From inside the car it sounds asif its coming from just below the gearstick. From the ouside it sounds like its a noise from just behind the engine. Could it be my exhaust vibrating and hitting my car as its so low at the moment?

There shouldn't be any change with the exhaust relative to the body... If the car is dropped by XXmm then so is the exhaust.

Drive shaft popped out of the gearbox. Possible if you let the hub assembly drop and may be a possibility if you have gone very low.

The top hat section for the top mount now touching the body as there's going to be a change in the camber/caster. Incorrectly assembled topmount.

The car drives fine. I didn't realise how low it was going to go.i will check how everything looks when i higher it. Could raising the car help this noise go away?

I know its different, but Callum had the drive shaft pop out the gearbox and trash the inner CV joint boot on his RS.

The inner joint has a spring clip to nornally keep it in place. Giving it a yank whilst having the hub loose could unseat the clip, or going really low could take up the free travel and pull it free which can happen on clios

I found the problem to be the retaining bolt that stopped the adjuster moving was loose and had adjusted itself so the left side was sat lower than the right causing it to creek