Grinding sound when steering

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_133

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having an issue with my RS, is an intermittent fault when I steer there is a horrible grinding sound coming from the steering column. Not sure whether this is the motor, ECU fault or a fault with the rack.

Anyone else had a problem like this?
Thanks in advance

What kind of a noise is it if you had to describe it? What conditions does it happen under?

Someone had a problem which sounds the exact same and put a video on YouTube, here is a link https://youtu.be/g6M2ve-gxZE

The steering gets really tough,even with the engine running it feels like you're steering with just the ignition on. I was unable to replicate the sound, but it last happened on a slight incline when driving.

If it is similar to that, because the noise is there when the wheel is at a turning angle, but still, I would be inclined to think maybe the power steering pump or something like that? If it was me I would get it to a trustworthy garage to have a check... It doesn't sound like a metallic scraping clunk or groan to me.

My dad is a Renault mechanic and has been for many years but hasn't had this problem before. Have checked it over, taking apart dash and checking wiring/components. Wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue before I go ahead and order parts.

I had same issue grinding noise when turning slowly. Took it to a garage and they couldnt find a fault. After a few months it stopped. Either the stearing rack managed to relube it's self or it was some loose plastic that's grind itself down. Heard loads of issues like this happening when the car first came out that it had a dodgy stearing rack and you could take it back to get it replaced on guarantee.