Gt decat... worth it?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeyb19

Reaction score
I have been thinking about geting a decat for a while, now just want to hear what people think about theres?
Any louded? Any crackle or pops on the over run? Smoother through the revs or power gains?

Cheers guys.

I've been thinking the same mate, I've got no silencers in mine, going to get a quote to get it done this week

no difference whatsoever. not on a modern car, on an older car with more restrictive / older style cats : yes, it would make a difference to decat those. the 2014 BMW M5 does pretty well with catalytic converters, so do all the 'formula' racing cars and rally cars. you will fail your MOT, and if you don't know how to remove and then replace the decat pipe then you will be looking at about 2-300 in labour alone just to have a garage remove and replace it. the best thing you can do is to install a higher flow cat or as some people call it ''sports cat''. the honeycomb on the inside takes up less space but still meets emissions restrictions. you will also need to bypass the HO2S sensors via a remap, and that won't be cheap on MOT day to turn bank 1 / bank 2 back on just to pass the test, then swap back over and turn bank 1 / 2 back off again. if you're fine going with cowboys who will stick the emissions prong up the backside of another car and pretend it's yours on MOT day then that's fine! live by the sword, die by the sword lol

as for gains, not much. perhaps 5 or so bhp. especially when it's not a high revving engine. there has been one or two decats on here, and it's been a ktec map .. of which their rolling road notoriously adds on more horses than are actually there according to members posts over the years on here and on cs.net,

Oscar to the rescue! sounds like more hassle than it's worth mate

BradGT":391971y8 said:

i'd say so mate :) it wouldn't make much of a difference with the sound either, make it a bit more raspy on over run you know??? choosing the right backbox of the exhaust, and the bends etc in the system is where the noise of an exhaust is selected. i know that mines crackles on over run but it doesn't pop, because that's just silly. i don't much fancy paying to replace my catalytic converter every month. i've only just gave up fags to free some cash up haha

oscar":3tfo7xoc said:
BradGT":3tfo7xoc said:

i'd say so mate :) it wouldn't make much of a difference with the sound either, make it a bit more raspy on over run you know??? choosing the right backbox of the exhaust, and the bends etc in the system is where the noise of an exhaust is selected. i know that mines crackles on over run but it doesn't pop, because that's just silly. i don't much fancy paying to replace my catalytic converter every month. i've only just gave up fags to free some cash up haha
Cheers for the advice mate, mines loud enough as it is with no silencers, quite raspy and pops on downshift and like mad when reversing for some reason

no bother brad / jakey, not saying don't get it done though. if you guys are into having the loudest possible exhaust then fair enough you will at least maximise the noise of your exhaust as long as your backbox matches your requirements (for example, mines is basically straight through jap. it has no sound deadening whatsoever not even in the box itself!) i quite like a nice loud exhaust, i don't drive long distances and i like to hear throttle through the exhaust. it's always good to play with pedestrians as they walk by your car, tap the throttle + your eye on the mirror and you see them turn around to check your backside out. is this how it feels like to be a female? ;)

oscar":463bvk96 said:
no bother brad / jakey, not saying don't get it done though. if you guys are into having the loudest possible exhaust then fair enough you will at least maximise the noise of your exhaust as long as your backbox matches your requirements (for example, mines is basically straight through jap. it has no sound deadening whatsoever not even in the box itself!) i quite like a nice loud exhaust, i don't drive long distances and i like to hear throttle through the exhaust. it's always good to play with pedestrians as they walk by your car, tap the throttle + your eye on the mirror and you see them turn around to check your backside out. is this how it feels like to be a female? ;)
i do the same but always get moaned at for it

I'm going for the decat in March together with a bigger intercooler at Ktec and 172 injectors.

Ktec suggested themselfs to install a sportscat (they know how difficult Belgian MOT is).

I'm curious how the decat is going to sound. I have a Skytune backbox and now it sometimes burbles and pops so I'm wondering after the works how it is going to sound.

should work good with the sports cat, but surely you will fail your TUV test with a decat? or have i misread you and you are referring to the sports cat as the decat

Mot is not a problem, nor is fitting, just wanted to hear some opinions on people who have them fitted. I understand that its not gonna crackle and pop like a focus st/astra vxr, but if theres not a massive differance from my cat back ill spend the £200 elsewhere, cheers for the replys guys.

decat is one of the best mods i did a extra adding and 20ft-lb and a few ponies. not one engine light has came on. spits flames on high rev gear changes. what more can you want !!!!!!

sam, so you just took the cat out and replaced it with a straight pipe, no tinkering whatsoever to engine management? the fuel ECM is constantly hunting back and forth between excessive lean mixes and excessive rich mixes, bye bye piston rings. that's why it sets itself to limp mode as it is protecting itself from damage, as the oxygen sensor is what governs fuel mixture. usually you need to turn bank 2 off and then run on a known setting. but that's fair enough, learn something new everyday!

oscar":1rxaw3cc said:
should work good with the sports cat, but surely you will fail your TUV test with a decat? or have i misread you and you are referring to the sports cat as the decat
They're going to decat it and place a sportscat after the decat pipe.
It's possible it doesn't add a huge amount of power but it should make it more smoother and less restrictive.

jakeyb19":2s8rt04q said:
I have been thinking about geting a decat for a while, now just want to hear what people think about theres?
Any louded? Any crackle or pops on the over run? Smoother through the revs or power gains?

Cheers guys.

decat is always good on turbo engine (not always on naturaly aspired)

decat + reprog = easy cheap efficient boost

for the mot you put back the cat
the way is to have your new cat easy access under the car (not like behind the engine on the 1.6 RS)

mazmaz":1x8fk6nq said:
jakeyb19":1x8fk6nq said:

Cheers guys.

decat is always good on turbo engine (not always on naturaly aspired)

decat + reprog = easy cheap efficient boost

for the mot you put back the cat
the way is to have your new cat easy access under the car (not like behind the engine on the 1.6 RS)

the problem with moving the cat further down the exhaust is that your cat will not be in the optimum working temperature enviroment of 600 degrees thus rendering it useless. it will be way below that by the time it's at the bottom of the downpipe. it's certainly not efficient maz! not many people are mechanically minded, and once you map your car to take into account the decat .. you simply cannot just stick the cat back on without needing to reprog it all over again for that 30 minutes that your MOT takes up. that's why i like older cars, bolt on bolt off with no computers to worry about (L)

nope the car has been remapped but did NOT have the decat on when it was mapped also has a k-tec cat back and fmic. and no oscar its not just a bit of pipe its a protoxide downpipe which came from italy when no one wanted to make a decat pipe accept them. also plugged my solus pro in and not one code registered with the ecu.

sam666":m3l684s6 said:
nope the car has been remapped but did NOT have the decat on when it was mapped also has a k-tec cat back and fmic. and no oscar its not just a bit of pipe its a protoxide downpipe which came from italy when no one wanted to make a decat pipe accept them. also plugged my solus pro in and not one code registered with the ecu.

got yourself a solus pro eh??? fantastic pieces of kit! so you replaced the entire downpipe instead of just the cat for a pipe? sounds interesting, must be something in the maps that do some form of over ride on the oxygen sensor when it reads a certain voltage (which translates into a percentage of oxygen in the exhaust) which is interesting, i can only think of that as being the reason why yours was just plug and play. but this is certainly a good thing in the sense that anyone without a decat if their bank 2 was to go faulty it wouldn't send them into limp mode :D