GT timing belt change / tappet adjustment

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotog

Reaction score
hi all!
I've ordered a timing belt kit and water pump for my Gt 1.2 tce and plan on doing the change myself.. is there anything else worth changing at the same time?
also if anyone has any information on carrying out this job, your input would be greatly appreciated!
on another note the tapping noise from my engine has now become unbearable and much louder.. so I was considering having a gander under the rocker cover and checking the clearances and making adjustments.. I have read elsewhere that the 16v doesn't have hydraulic lifters.. so clarification on what type the gt has would be awesome!
any help on the above would be hugely appreciated as usual, and how to's will be made of any work I carry out :)
tog

technical-stuff-f120/twingo-maintenace-t917.html - technical data tightening torques and cylinder head sequences etc.

technical-stuff-f120/d4ft-auxiliary-belt-replacement-t11608.html - i'd advise you also order an aux belt kit as this is to be done hand in hand with the timing belt.

the 'guide' already exists in a sense and i'll link you to it below, personally i wouldn't waste your time with doing a pictured how to because this isn't a job that anyone should be doing themselves unless qualified or at least have first hand experience in setting engine timing. if you can read an auto-data timing diagram and how to then the jobs for you :)
technical-stuff-f120/cambelt-timing-belt-t11392.html

oh and yes mate you're right, the RS has hydraulic lifters where as the 16v in all it's forms has your usual style lifters. the valve clearances are on the first link in the technical data