HELP!!! Engine Management Light

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James-Hilton

Reaction score
Just tried to drive my car out of the car park but decided to just leave it as the engine management light started to flash and the car sounded awful. Almost as if it was choking and became very jumpy. Went on about a 300 mile drive yesterday and everything was fine. It's due its 2nd service in just over 500 miles.

I understand you have the facelift model but I had exactly this last week on my 58plate RS. Got it diagnosed and flagged up that coil 1 was faulty due to water getting into the spark plug hole. Decided to replace all 4 separate coilpacks and car runs completely fine now. Not much point just replacing the faulty one as others will go at some point. This weekend I'm looking into sealing the slam panel when water comes through the vents and into the engine to a certain degree so I don't need to fork out £132 on this again! Mines only done 39k and not impressed this has to be fixed already! Renault apparently know it's a fault and common problem but unless your car is under warranty, there isn't much hope to Renault paying for it. Which frustrates me on such a low mileage example RS! Crazy.

Could be different on your model but I understand this is VERY common problem on MK1 Twingo 133's and happened to me just there :(

I had the engine management light flash every now and again before taking my car into my mechanic, so same symptoms. My traction control light on the rev counter also flagged up permanently on the way to the garage as well if this happened to you or not? Lack of power/stuttering/change of exhaust noise/puffing/sounding like the car was running on 3 cylinders (which technically it was), were the causes of my coilpack dying if that's any help!

Thanks! I have Renault 4+ on the car so I called their breakdown line. Ended up cancelling the RAC guy as I started it up again and let it warm up and it appeared to run fine. I'm going to take it into Renault for its service soon anyway so I'll tell them the problem. Hopefully I'll not need to pay for it as it's still got just under 2 years of warranty left.

The scuttle panel didnt change with the facelift, so thats likely water ingress through the centre of the scuttle and onto the coils beneath. As mentioned above.

Arron. Did they add some sealant (silicone) to the joint in the centre, to prevent it happening again?

singlespeed":l9da2htc said:
The scuttle panel didnt change with the facelift, so thats likely water ingress through the centre of the scuttle and onto the coils beneath. As mentioned above.

Arron. Did they add some sealant (silicone) to the joint in the centre, to prevent it happening again?

It's Aaron not Arron! Ha ha ;)

He didn't no as wasn't sure where to seal it as of yet. Can't see where it leaks. Might have a peak tomorrow

Sorry :)

Theres a fixed metal tray from the center of the windscreen across to the RH suspension top mount. The scuttle panel sits ontop of this. With the poor foam seal between the two bits, water leaks through.

Undo the screws either end and the one in the centre. Pull off the rubber seal across the front edge of the panel. You should now be able to lift the panel enough to squeeze a bead af silicone sealant between the two before assembling it again

Got the car booked into Renault on Tuesday for the fault and its 2nd service. Hopefully they'll sort it out under warranty and then I'll do a little DIY so it doesn't happen again as next time it'll probably be out of warranty.

singlespeed":sgiiiicc said:
Sorry :)

Theres a fixed metal tray from the center of the windscreen across to the RH suspension top mount. The scuttle panel sits ontop of this. With the poor foam seal between the two bits, water leaks through.

Undo the screws either end and the one in the centre. Pull off the rubber seal across the front edge of the panel. You should now be able to lift the panel enough to squeeze a bead af silicone sealant between the two before assembling it again

Hmmm shall try that maybe just before Xmas! Cheers fella :) Really don't want my new leads getting to the same stage of the old ones!