Help needed with removing air vent surround

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holliedynamique

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could give me step by step instructions on how to remove the air vent surround in the middle as I want to get it sprayed gloss black like in the gordinis, everytime I look at doing it I get scared, plus can I drive my car with it off?

Here's a pic of the part I mean lol fuzzy pic

2337f0a4.jpg

Bit above the speedo pulls off then the rest you will see the bolts you need to undo

Ahh cool thank u did wonder if that bit comes off b4 the other bit, I was told to turn the passenger airbag off aswell is that right?
The bit above the speedo is it literally pull it off? I won't break any clips or does it need to be done in a special way?

Can turn the airbag off if you like. And yea just pull it has 2 or 3 clips holding it in but pulling it will release them

Okay well I pulled the top cover off with a bit of a tug was relatively easy and felt pretty solid, I unscrewed the two black star shaped bolts but I can't get it out do I remove the two covers (airbag cover and dash holder in front of driver) before pulling on the air vent surround?

Remind me tomorrow I'll get diagrams email my work email and I'll email them to you

I know theres lugs which go under the storage compartment and airbag cover.

Drivers side - Insert a thin blade under the corner of the cover and pull it upwards from it's clips. Starting in the corner nearest the screen/center will mean theres less chance of any marks being visible.

You may not need to do the airbag side, but it may be easier getting the center console back in once sprayed.
The airbag module floats on loose clips under the cover which is basicaly the same as the drivers side compartment. Before doing the air bag side, switch it off, then undo the two 17mm nuts which are holding the airbag to the top of the glovebox. no need to remove this side fully, or disconnect the airbag wire as you only need a bit of a lift and theres about 10cm of cable to play with so not too bad.

Okay I had a go at this yesterday after giving the car a good clean, I pulled the top cover off came off nice and easy and felt pretty solid, I unscrewed the two star screw heads either side holding the digital dial down as shown below
065ccd98.jpg

10ec753a.jpg

I then used a small blade to lift up the drivers front compartment this came off really easily with a bit of gentle force
971a6352.jpg

I then pulled the digital speedo housing off undoing the plugs
b29b107c.jpg

the only problem is no matter how hard I pull the centre console airvent surround it won't budge, it doesn't look like there's any bolts holding it down but it's solid can anyone help me?

manofhow":3hy0hrdx said:
maggi112":3hy0hrdx said:

i think she might want it off in one piece :p

Nah that would be sensible. Reminds me when I went to remove something from my old car. It wouldn't budge...

DSC02323.jpg

:lol: I regretted that immediately!

I'm sorry I can't help as I've not done it, but Carrie has so I'll ask her what she did to remove it in a bit

shimmy":2bsq6k9a said:
Did you remove the airbag surround????

No as u don't have to as such as it dosent hold it down to the point where it would be unmovable, I'm sure its something simple lol

maggi112":3d4bvnc0 said:
manofhow":3d4bvnc0 said:
maggi112":3d4bvnc0 said:

i think she might want it off in one piece :p

Nah that would be sensible. Reminds me when I went to remove something from my old car. It wouldn't budge...

DSC02323.jpg

:lol: I regretted that immediately!

I'm sorry I can't help as I've not done it, but Carrie has so I'll ask her what she did to remove it in a bit

Thank u :) I forgot that carrie brought the gordini surround off rob I think lol

you need to pull it with decision, there are many "clips"(in italian) all around..but first you need to take off left airbag too..
in the under case there are 2 13mm bolt, you need socket wrench because the 2 prisoners are little long, then take the airbag up using the same little blade for right compartment, take the airbag up but don't remove the cable ( IMPORTANT FIRST SWITCH OFF AIRBAG WHIT THE SWITCHER YOU HAVE WHEN YOU HAVE LEFT DOOR) you need only to tak airbag little up, the rotate it 90° degres so you can put it down but so remain the space you need to remove the air vent surround..
i hope you understand me because my english is very bad

To remove the center air vent element, you must remove first the parts on each side, so the "storage" thing in front of the driver and the airbag cover.

Otherwise it won´t come out, no way (trust me I´ve removed it countless times already...).

The airbag, it has two bolts in the glovebox, size 13 if my memory is correct, then you can just lift the airbag and its cover enough to pull the central element.
The central element has approx 12 pins or so so pull it bit by bit and it will come off easily.

Ahh okay so it is vital to remove the airbag cover silly me lol
Thanks everyone and don't worry Il lungo I understood perfectly, if the airbags turned off it won't blow up will it? That's the one thing I'm scared off : /

holliedynamique":lmnldjpc said:
Ahh okay so it is vital to remove the airbag cover silly me lol
Thanks everyone and don't worry Il lungo I understood perfectly, if the airbags turned off it won't blow up will it? That's the one thing I'm scared off : /

yes be quiet, if turned off no prob..anyway don't shake it or other, just to be sure :mrgreen: