Hi folks!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossie_jt26

Reaction score
Bought a standard 133 (17" Anthracite wheels ) from Fish Bros Swindon at the end of August and thought I should Join in the forum stuff. Not used to this sort of thing as I dont do facebook or whatever...might get the hang of it all as I go along?
I'm 55 years old , so a golden oldie for RS ownership...thought I'd have some fun on the drive thru the country lanes to and from work! Car is a Dec11 with 7k and YES I'VE ALREADY KERBED BOTH NEARSIDE WHEELS....HOW THE HELL???? :cry:

Hi, welcome along!

It is inevitable you will kerb the 17" alloys at some point, I think most have. It's due to the tyres offering no protection to the alloys! I haven't hit any kerbs as such, just general pot holes! That's a low mileage car you've bought for the age, get some photos posted!

Welcome to the madhouse, if you don't kerb the standard wheels you don't drive the car enough haha.
What colour 133 you got and where are the pics? It's law around it to post pictures of your car when you sign up :lol:

Welcome from another oldie (only 42).

Unfortunately, it seems that its a question of when, not if you will kerb the 17s. Low profile with a bit of stretch makes it very easy to scuff the rims.

Welcome from a young hoodlum (20) it happens to even the best of us I've chipped mine by not hitting a curb right while going up it mine are aftermarket and I imagine the cup wheels are a lot worse for it but who cares can't be a wimp got to enjoy the car :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Had to get my daughter to sort a pic for me! Here it is. Funny how people near my age seem a bit jealous of the fact that I get to drive one of these and they have to use 'sensible' transport ha ha :lol: . The car is lots of fun but I have a whine which has been discussed on here before I believe? Despite the fact that Fish Bros are Renaultsport dealers, they want to try another 133 when one comes into service to compare. They DID acknowledge that there IS a whine so thats positive I guess.

Attachments

• twingo scale2.JPG
    twingo scale2.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 7,051
mossie, is it a constant whining noise or does it only happen when you accelerate or brake or corner and if so is it a left or right corner?

oscar":ddhr5a96 said:
mossie, is it a constant whining noise or does it only happen when you accelerate or brake or corner and if so is it a left or right corner?
I first heard it in fifth at about 66mph. Now I'm listening I can hear it in second at just over 2200 rpm. It's just there all the time! Can't tell where it comes from but its quite prominent.

what to do is on a quiet road, apply the foot brake and listen to see if it goes away under braking and returns once you lift your foot of the brake. if that works, then you have a wheel bearing on it's way out. if the above doesn't work for you, there could be a few problems but what i saw with common failure patterns renaults have never suffered premature belt failures of pulley failures and i'd go out on a limb to say your belts are fine as well as the pulleys especially for 7k miles and two years old. obviously nobody the way to find that out is to open the bonnet and try to listen in, and use your ears to get a rough idea where the noise is coming from and then let us know which area of the engine block and we can point you in the right direction for some peace of mind, even though its going in the garage :p

okay good luck with it all! it could be a huge number of things in fairness, but we can only really give you ways to rule each out one at a time. without being there to see it and locate the noise itself, it's really anyones guess right now :D will be fine though soon and you'll be back to falling in love with your new car :D

Tried the braking idea...no difference. Rubbish day at work so no time to listen under the bonnet, However, tried dipping the clutch on the way home...pretty sure the noise goes away. Problem was too much traffic so I couldnt get a decent run going. Will check it out again in the morning. Thanks to mark hardy and oscar for the ideas!