Hmm What to do...

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie133cup

Reaction score
Right guys coming into a dilemma with the Twingo soon ..

Insurance is up on 3 March 2011 - which at the moment im using my winter car a 306 DT ( with winter tyres)

heres where my dilemma is do i wait another month and insure the 306 and wait till Start Aprill to run the Twingo or

Hope the weather aint bad through March and starts warming up ..... and insure Twingo from March .

My heart says March start using Twingo again but my head says dont be stupid insure it in aprill.

What do you lot think ? just your opinions please. :roll:

I think u should burn the 306 :mrgreen:
firstly coz its a smelly horrid diesel,
secondly coz its a peugeot
and third that way u can run the twingo all year :mrgreen:

Can I ask why you don't drive the 133 in winter?

alot of people dont drive there nice sports car in winter due to the crap they have to go thro!
my gtt doesnt come out of the garage in the winter!and i bet ollie has worse weather where he lives compared to me!

TURBO":qkc5ss0o said:
alot of people dont drive there nice sports car in winter due to the crap they have to go thro!
my gtt doesnt come out of the garage in the winter!and i bet ollie has worse weather where he lives compared to me!

I can understand that though, but.... it's a 133. I won't ever be a classic or worth loads not matter how well you look after it. It'll be worth approximately a third of the rrp new price after three years whether it was driven 1 mile or 30k in harsh winters. The overall value is deemed by how it's been looked after and Ollie obviously takes care of his cars.

I'd also say if the issue was the questionable suitability of the CS3's during the winter, then buying a set of winter wheels with tyres is far cheaper than owning, taxing and insuring another car.

I'm just saying if I owned a 133 and a 306 I know what one I'd be driving no matter the season.

Al":n67wv288 said:
Bad weather up here every winter .. And other twatty drivers up here .

I love keeping my car pristine so hate when there dirty .. OCD..

As for the 306 they are decent cars and it's done me for the winter and shall do for the next and also a deer hit me at start o winter and tht could of happened to the 133 .

Ollie133cup":3pdrmmke said:
Al":3pdrmmke said:

As for the 306 they are decent cars and it's done me for the winter and shall do for the next and also a deer hit me at start o winter and tht could of happened to the 133 .

Fair enough mate - at least it's not "it'll be worth more" which too many people think :?

As for the deer hitting you, ever thought maybe it was pissed off and jealous you had two cars? ;)

Al":1xrx8vlk said:
Ollie133cup":1xrx8vlk said:
Al":1xrx8vlk said:

Fair enough mate - at least it's not "it'll be worth more" which too many people think :?

As for the deer hitting you, ever thought maybe it was pissed off and jealous you had two cars? ;)

Never got chance to ask it lol sold it to the butcher .. Haha

I'm exactly the same as you when it comes to my Megane. It's never been through a harsh winter and I have no intention of it having to drive through ice, snow and salt etc.

That said I intended my Gordini to be my daily car, changed jobs and it's only done 350 miles since August so that's not seen any harsh winter action either haha.

As for the original post, it's entirely up to you mate. Depends if you can foresee if you'll suddenly get a load of snow and ice. To be realistic a modern car will handle the salt and crap from the roads provided you clean it every week and it's protected with a decent wax/sealant.

I've seen some of the most mint cars driven every day through rain, shine, snow etc yet they're detailed to perfection and the best examples of those types of cars. As much as I'm ridiculously OCD I know deep down that a car can be used all year round and still kept 99% perfect.

My missus Twingo is driven in all weathers except for the heavy snow and yet I'll detail it back to showroom condition in an afternoon. :)

Yeah, my vote would be flog the Pug and run the Twingo all year.

The money you get back for the Pug will more than offset any insurance costs in renewing sooner.

As for winter driving - if you can drive the Pug on winter roads, you can drive the Twingo. If you can't, flog both and buy an ex-army Land Rover :lol:

As far as keeping it for best, forget it - you won't keep it forever and by the time it starts to go rusty you'll've traded it anyway, so SEP [Somebody Else's Problem]. I probably clean my car about once a year (whether it needs it or not...) and every one I've traded in, the dealer's said what good nick it's in :lol:

gavin-h":13zdjuqk said:
Yeah, my vote would be flog the Pug and run the Twingo all year.

The money you get back for the Pug will more than offset any insurance costs in renewing sooner.

As for winter driving - if you can drive the Pug on winter roads, you can drive the Twingo. If you can't, flog both and buy an ex-army Land Rover :lol:

As far as keeping it for best, forget it - you won't keep it forever and by the time it starts to go rusty you'll've traded it anyway, so SEP [Somebody Else's Problem]. I probably clean my car about once a year (whether it needs it or not...) and every one I've traded in, the dealer's said what good nick it's in :lol:

..... I have a series 3 Landrover.....................................................................................................

thats where me and you are different then....doesnt matter if i have it 3 years or 10 years i look after it and clean it every couple of days oil changes 4k miles ......

as for the 306 it gets me to and from work ands is a hardy diesel so has got through some thick as **** snow with winter tyres on....

It's a tricky call because I'm very much like you Ollie, doesn't matter if that cost me £500 of £500,000 I'd treat it the same. It'd be cleaned and maintained regularly.

In terms of driving it through winter though, it depends how long you intend on keeping the car.

I mean in that, the winter is the harshest most likely time to cause corrosion and all that nastiness. But a modern car like the Twingos won't rust for years and years. If you plan on selling the car in a few years then I wouldn't worry so much. You obviously know how to look after a car so it'll be way beyond the average RS Twingo in the time you have and when you come to sell.

For me, I have no intention of selling my Megane. Had it over 5 years now and it still feels like a new car every time I'm in it so I can see your reasoning. :)

Yeh I'm the same Alex ain't got plans to sell the 133 anytime in the future, so like to know that I've looked after it same as you with ya Meg .

Think I'll keep checking forecasts for March/Aprill

Thanks for your input guys much appreciated