How do I know when brakes need replacing

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzye

Reaction score
Might be being thick here but how do I know when the brakes need replacing?

I was driving yesterday and my mate mentioned 'you need new brake pads' then I read Alex's thread about a light grinding noise being due to surface rust so I am a bit unsure.

How long do they normally last on a twingo? Averaging about 10k/year mileage, mostly on 50mph B roads - I'm normally quite careful on the braking preferring to take my right foot off and slow down naturally instead of slamming the brakes on nearing junctions.

I am planning to get it serviced pretty soon anyway

Depends on how often, what speeds you brake from etc. In the extreme you will here a grinding noise. Id get them to have a quick look at your service, you can see through the caliper how much is left, you want at least a couple of mm ideally, I dont let mine run lower than that

you can see them mate, if you put your wheel on full lock and have a look in the calliper, you can see how much meat are left on them.

Im ready for some new ones, mine have been on about 10 months

Easyest way to check will be to just pop the wheel off to be fair.

All brakes have different time spands on them due to everyone have different driving styles

i think when theres a 3mm grooves in my discs then its time to be changed lol. happened at fronts which ktec couldnt understand at 15k miles no track time and now on the backs due to hard compound pads

You can easily notice if you need to replace your break. Just right now you need to because you already notice that there is a problem. Brakes are used for security so a little trouble might cause an accident. I have to buy new ebc brakes in my case.