how to detail a red car?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchie

Reaction score
As I'm getting more and more addicted to my car, I would like to maintain it a little better.
Now I know there are some of you who get all excited on cleaning a car.
So, I believe red is a hard colour to get proper clean and waxed and stuff, what products do I need to use?

As I only know where to buy some autoglym and Meguiars, I would like to know what products I need to use from those brands.

Thanks in advance for all the answers!

Red is one of the easiest! SOOO easy to get looking glossy and shiney and very easy to maintain too. TBH Both brands are quite good and have their gems. For protection, if you wanna pick the best of them, autoglym hd wax is easily gonna be the best. But EGP itself is also very, very capable over the top of SRP. A very good combo ;)

I've got a Capsi Red 133 and I find it quite easy to detail too..

I rinse it first to remove any excess dirt/dust etc.
Wash it down then squeegy the water off with a Turtle Wax Silicon Squeegee.

I then use Simonix Bumper Black on all the Black trim pieces, followed by Autoglym Super Resin Polish as a base polish for the car.
I follow it up with Chemical Boys XXX Hardcore Wax and it works BEAUTIFULLY :)

Hope it helps :D

madmatt":2vayljk5 said:
then squeegy the water off with a Turtle Wax Silicon Squeegee.
Nooooooooooooooo :shock: A small speck of grit under the blade gives you a nasty scratch. Blade the glass if you want, but use a drying towel to dry the paintwork.

singlespeed":2h9g79jv said:
madmatt":2h9g79jv said:
then squeegy the water off with a Turtle Wax Silicon Squeegee.
Nooooooooooooooo :shock: A small speck of grit under the blade gives you a nasty scratch. Blade the glass if you want, but use a drying towel to dry the paintwork.
+1 took advice from the guys on here after using a drying blade.. a towel is so much easier to use as well :) gets right in all those little areas :cool:

Im not a detailer at all but i have a red one and i manage to get it gleaming so if your keen youll be able to! im just lazy tbf haha

Sharpy":7y0w5b7i said:
Im not a detailer at all but i have a red one and i manage to get it gleaming so if your keen youll be able to! im just lazy tbf haha

+ 1

Bought some clay the other day, that should be fun! :lol:

Hahaha thats well to time consuming for me to do!

triple9tommy":27746yhh said:
Bought some clay the other day, that should be fun! :lol:
Ahhh I really want to start using clay but im too nervous!

If you want any help I'm always willing to show anyone how to use their products :) brighton isn't very far at all, i have a friend who comes up often and we give our cars a going over together using my favourites.

As said there's nothing to worry about with claying, you can't really go to far wrong. Just make sure you use plenty of clay lube and if you drop the bit of clay, bin it.

I like lists so here's a list of basic bits and pieces that'll get your car shiny and won't cost the earth.

Wash Mitt - Any decent lambs wool of microfibre will do
Shampoo - Again same applies, doesn't have to cost the earth. Meguiars, Dodo Juice, Chemical Guys, Autoglym etc
Polish - No brainer, Autoglym Super Resin. Easy to use, cheap and easy to get off the shelf
Wax - Too many to choose but can't go wrong with most decent paste waxes.
Drying Towel - Far better and safer than a chamois or drying blade.
Clay - Most clay kits will give you what you need, can get them off the shelf no problem.

As for what brands of products to go for, it all depends on whether you want to buy online or off the shelf.

Know you were going for the basics, but to Alex's list above I would add before-hand

Pressure Washer, snow foam & lance to do a good pre-wash (if you have the budget). Obviously not a necessity, but snow foaming is great fun :D

I didn't prewash my car at the last wash. IN fact I took a sponge straight to it... :lol:

But ONR is safe. As much as I do like a good snowfoam etc, with the amount I wash my car I can't spend that much time each time I wanna! SHe got 4 ONR washes and a proper wash at the weekend last week

DrDrew":mwwu2rfn said:
Know you were going for the basics, but to Alex's list above I would add before-hand

Pressure Washer, snow foam & lance to do a good pre-wash (if you have the budget). Obviously not a necessity, but snow foaming is great fun :D

Agreed, a pressure washer is a good option and I wouldn't be without one. Expect to pay at least £50 for one so add that to the budget. Snow foaming is good fun but I'm still not convinced by it's effectiveness, also for someone starting out you're looking at £60 to get the foam lance and solution.

thanks for the massive input!

I already washed the car every week with the pressure washer in a cleaningbox nearby, then when I come home, I handwash it quick another time. Then drying it with a drying towel. (I have meq's nxt2.0 and goldclass, wich one is better?)

I've also just bought the quick clay kit and some gold class liquid wax. (this came with one applicator pad, is one enough?)

So, as far as I can follow you guys, I only need a good polish as the next step after washing it? and a few microfibers to get rid of the rests of polish, quick detailer and wax?

And do meguiars or autoglym have some decent wheel cleaners?

Massive Thanks!

Either of those Meguiars shampoos will be just fine for you mate. :)

The Meguiars Gold Class wax is ok, looks nice and is easy to use but doesn't last too long. You don't need another another applicator as such but it's handy having more than one.

I'm not a big fan of wheel cleaners as a weekly wash doesn't usually need one as such but the Meguiars wheel cleaner (comes in a purple bottle) is pretty good.