k-tec upper engine mount

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frediiii

Reaction score
hi,

as I just mounted the upper engine mount from k-tec this weekend, I wanted to share my impressions.

cost: got it for around 100€ (not including delivery), so it's actually reasonably priced compared to the massive renault sport R2 engine mount (~1000€ according to yotah)

assembly: the assembly was a 10 minute job. all I needed was a 16mm wrench, a jack and a piece of wood.

1.) take off the plastic engine cover underneath the sump by removing the ~10 screws. OR just leave it on and be careful while performing step 2
2.) place jack under the sump using a piece of wood to spread the weight and gently lift the jack to support the engine so it won't drop when you loosen the mount
3.) loosen the mount starting with the 3 screws located on the bracket on the cylinder head (belt-cover). If the engine starts to move downwards you have to elevate it a bit using the jack. next unscrew the bolt on the joint (the one connecting the engine bit to the rubber bit) and finally the 4 screws that hold the mount to the chassis.
4.) replace with ktr mount and tighten in reversed order. make sure that the new mount is placed exactly like the old one.
5.) remove jack (and remount engine cover)

impressions: the engine sits noticably firmer now. there's a fair amount of vibrations being delivered to the chassis now, but I think that's a small price to pay for way less engine wobbling. the car feels totally different now during load changes which leads to more precise gearchange and launching behavior.

I recommend the upgrade to anyone who has a worn out upper engine mount and doesn't mind a bit of vibration

On the more vibrations side, one of my friends changed his engine mount and after a few weeks he found the vibrations weren't as noticeable ;)

I skipped taking off the undertray, by using a piece of wood between sump and undertray, then supporting the undertray.

I think my mounting has settled and become a bit quieter too :)

singlespeed":2t9m0r4l said:
I skipped taking off the undertray, by using a piece of wood between sump and undertray, then supporting the undertray.

I did so as well. totally uncritical for this procedure and you save yourself from getting under the car ;)

vibrations don't bother me. They might rattle stuff loose though... hope it settles a bit.

can't tell how log they are going to last. but I think the company that manufactures them provide the rubber-part as a spare. so replacing them should be even cheaper than buying a new one.

JE_GT":2nk2qvar said:
Working man :( Just thought someone may know..
I know what the RS one and the Vibra-Technics Ktec mount look like. I don't know what the GT mount looks like and the GT isn't listed as a supported model... That could just be because nobody has confirmed it fits, or it may be completely different ;)

I've looked at it and from the looks (only the looks) it seems the same but don't shoot me if it's not.. :shock: