Knock knock

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad133

Reaction score
As I drove my car away tonight I could feel a knocking through the accelerator pedal, this is only when when at a constant speed in a straight line.
when accelerating, slowing down or turning it feels fine.

Any ideas?
Thank you

bit hard to diagnose without being there, but with it being a potentiometer / electronic set up, i would assume this would be an exhaust knocking noise. it could also be worthwhile when you do hear it to see if you can feel it through your other pedals or through the floor which could rule a shed load of things out

oscar":1t6p7av7 said:
bit hard to diagnose without being there, but with it being a potentiometer / electronic set up, i would assume this would be an exhaust knocking noise. it could also be worthwhile when you do hear it to see if you can feel it through your other pedals or through the floor which could rule a shed load of things out
You can't hear any knocking and you can't feel it anywhere other than your right food on the pedal

Ever had it be stiff going into gears? On spirited starts or general driving?

My box went in the twingo and I remember it probably only crunched 2/3 times that were noticeable I put this down to driver error, then a few days later my synchro snapped in the box.

(Mine only crunched going down into 1st and was quite stiff going down into first on normal driving and it was the 1st gear synchro that broke resulting in a new gearbox being needed under warranty)

waitey":235el4zb said:
Ever had it be stiff going into gears? On spirited starts or general driving?

My box went in the twingo and I remember it probably only crunched 2/3 times that were noticeable I put this down to driver error, then a few days later my synchro snapped in the box.

(Mine only crunched going down into 1st and was quite stiff going down into first on normal driving and it was the 1st gear synchro that broke resulting in a new gearbox being needed under warranty)
Nope, nothing. Just gentle knocks in the throttle pedal

next thing to look at brad will be drop links and general suspension components, drives shaft clearance to make sure they are turning without any noticeable noises or vibrations. check the security of your brake discs, wheel nuts / bolts. would be a good idea to do a continuity / resistance check on the throttle potentiometer (throttle positioning sensor)

curious to know, does the noise change when you turn left / right or apply the brakes at all?

oscar":15b8rk7z said:
next thing to look at brad will be drop links and general suspension components, drives shaft clearance to make sure they are turning without any noticeable noises or vibrations. check the security of your brake discs, wheel nuts / bolts. would be a good idea to do a continuity / resistance check on the throttle potentiometer (throttle positioning sensor)

curious to know, does the noise change when you turn left / right or apply the brakes at all?
cheers will try these tomorrow hopefully.
no the knock is only there when at a constant speed with out much load, under about 40mph and in a straight line

I blame it on the electrons bouncing about too vigorously within the cables that connect the throttle pedle to the ECU :?

The throttle pedle isn't actually connected to the engine. Its attached to the bulkhead by a couple of nuts and the cable that comes out from the top of the throttle potentiometer heads off to the engine ECU.

maybe it wants to be a tap dancer and hates having to pretend that it's an accelerator pedal. neil is correct though, my first point of check would involve a diagnostics machine with live data. note any abnormalities as you very slowly increase the angle of the pedal (bigger angle = your foot is pressing harder on the pedal), if no abnormalities are observed then it's multimeter time. but we are dealing with renault, masters of the undetectable 'noises' alongside good old fiat! :D

oscar":2fjitofc said:
maybe it wants to be a tap dancer and hates having to pretend that it's an accelerator pedal. neil is correct though, my first point of check would involve a diagnostics machine with live data. note any abnormalities as you very slowly increase the angle of the pedal (bigger angle = your foot is pressing harder on the pedal), if no abnormalities are observed then it's multimeter time. but we are dealing with renault, masters of the undetectable 'noises' alongside good old fiat! :D
Sounds like I've got a fun filled weekend ahead of me