laying off!!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib3tti3

Reaction score
My work have found out I may be planning to leave and set up on my own and aren't happy! now I know that they cant sack me but they could/are thinking of laying me off, my question is can they lay me off when they have two people there on temporary/rolling contracts compared to my full time contract would they not have to go first?
cheers for any light you guys could shed!
Matt

At my place if you hand in your notice they (99% of the time) march you off site there and then to stop you taking anything with you (tools, information, data etc). They still pay your notice but they'd rather you weren't on site. I'm not sure where you stand in your case though

There have to be consulting periods for redundancies, but unfortunately it can be role based. If you've got a different job title, which they could prove more expensive etc, they in theory /could/ do it. But they'd have to give you a notice that they were thinking of it - and looking for options. I believe if there are relevant other roles in the company - you have to be offered those first too.

DrDrew":1czb6s2u said:
There have to be consulting periods for redundancies, but unfortunately it can be role based. If you've got a different job title, which they could prove more expensive etc, they in theory /could/ do it. But they'd have to give you a notice that they were thinking of it - and looking for options. I believe if there are relevant other roles in the company - you have to be offered those first too.
As above. The length of the consultantancy period also depends on the number of layoffs. If I remember correctly its 10 working days for one person. That does by mean you are out in 10 days.

Ok thanks guys, we are all in the same job role but I am paid higher so I guess they can use that as an excuse!