Leaking oil

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubz

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with the oil cap leaking so my engine oil is spilling in the engine bay.

It's making the car smell when I start it up and every so often when driving all I can smell is burning oil.

Anyone else had this problem? It hasn't caused any damage yet but I can see it causing the start motor to stop working (that's sometimes a bit dodgy too) and obviously lose my engine oil.

I'll upload a picture later as my phone isn't allowing me to upload it to tapatalk ATM.

And the cap is on as tight as it can go.

Order a new cap from renault they are quite cheap - The rubber seal went on my clio resulting in moisture getting in, guessing its kinda similar?

Dubz, I'm having a similar problem in my GT, the caps on tight and no proof of damage / wear yet it collects a small pool of oil around the cap.

I've had no issue of it spitting / spilling into the engine bay however it does produce a slight burning smell when driving for a long period / anything above 80mph.

the only suggestion I could think of is oil pressure / engine getting very warm and it expanding??

Beany-08GT":1ljfzoze said:
I've had no issue of it spitting / spilling into the engine bay however it does produce a slight burning smell when driving for a long period / anything above 80mph.

the only suggestion I could think of is oil pressure / engine getting very warm and it expanding??

Wouldn't that cause some kind of warning light?

Here's my spillage..
a0dcee45-bf85-475d-9843-9621bf87df49_zps06cf5d38.jpg

Beany-08GT":1njudwri said:
Dubz, I'm having a similar problem in my GT, the caps on tight and no proof of damage / wear yet it collects a small pool of oil around the cap.

Combustion gasses which pass the piston sealing rings would cause the crank case to become pressurised, which is why breathers are built in to take these gasses back to the inlet manifold so they can be recirculated to burn away any residual oil. Unless the piston rings are shot, with the breather free from blockages or a kinked hose, there should be very little or no pressure build up within the crank case.

Oil will probably be splashed against the under side of the filler cap, by the valve gear bouncing up and down. A decent seal should be enough to keep the oil inside the engine.

So long a you have filled the oil level to the dipstick mark, and not filed the engine to the top of the filler neck, theres loads of room for the oil to expand ;)

singlespeed":8rhy6hdd said:
So long a you have filled the oil level to the dipstick mark, and not filed the engine to the top of the filler neck, theres loads of room for the oil to expand ;)

haha :) i've checked my oil level and its about 3/4 full according to the dipstick mark.

I've attached a pic of what mine looks like.. however investigating further i think the cap is loose so may need replacing (as you'll notice in the pic the engine bay isnt the cleanest, whats best way to clean Renault engine bays as i know water & electrics are never best mixed!?)

Attachments

• IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 178
Funny enough I'm having the same problem, but I got a new cap last week. I'll just wait for now to see if its any better.