Loss of Power! Help/Experience appreciated!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewiswyn

Reaction score
Spent £190 at Renault dealership today to get my RS133 serviced.
Had it for the last 5/6k miles and it hasn't missed a beat once! ;)

So, I'm 10 miles down the M4 on the way home and the power cuts out breifly, but I ignored it and thought it was my head playing tricks!

2 minutes later, same again, really juddery, massive loss of power under hard throttle and then I heard a rather loud metallic clunk noise come from the engine and this time the 'misfiring' wouldn't stop... Took the next junction off only about 1/2 mile away and pulled over. :?: :?:

Engine was still juddering really bad, so my first suspicion was that the cam belt has slipped and the timing was off?? Would maybe explain the loud noise? Anyway, decided not to make matters any worse, so turned the car off and rung RAC, car has been towed back to Renault dealership and parked outside their gates, ready for first thing tomorrow morning. Just before I left, i started the engine back up, just to check if it was still suffering with the same problem, and it starts instantly, smooth as anything, idling lovely, so this must rule out the timing being off? And must surely be ignition related?

Any ideas what of what it could be? Or has anyone had same/similar experience!?
And does anyone think it's odd that 10 miles after a service I break down? Would you consider it partly the dealerships fault/responsibility? Or is this just the most insane fluke ever?

I have done some research and noticed it could be the coil pack, spark plugs, or oxygen sensor, any experience anyone on here has had to confirm any of these? :(

Mine did the same thing when one of my coil packs went down. Turned out to be the one that is commonly affected by the water leaking theough the seam in the middle of the scuttle pannel. Which is the one at the gearbox end.
Have they found anything on it yet?

Yeah Jamie, got it checked out by Renault Swansea, and it was the dreaded scuttle panel leak problem! :cry:

They quoted me £445 to change all 4 plugs and coils, for a problem that is a manufacturing fault! it's disgusting that I should even be charged, let alone that much.. Will be getting in touch with RUK to complain after my uni exams finish..

Ended up taking it to my local garage, who changed all plugs and the coil closest to throttle body (far right) for only £90... Problem solved!

Is there any fix/solution to the leak? Am thinking about taking the scuttle panel off for a good clean, and replace it all and maybe use a small amount of silicone sealant near the scuttle join?

lewiswyn":1touwraj said:
Is there any fix/solution to the leak? Am thinking about taking the scuttle panel off for a good clean, and replace it all and maybe use a small amount of silicone sealant near the scuttle join?

This is the fix Renault themselves uses. Make sure you use enough and wipe away any excess sealant.

Forza":l72nu779 said:
This is the fix Renault themselves uses. Make sure you use enough and wipe away any excess sealant.

Okay, fab thanks Forza, is it a fairly straight forward job? Just simply those 3 torx bolts visible to remove the scuttle panel?

Forza":16c6osba said:
Probably yes, haven't done it myself but I had to have it done twice because the first time they didn't put on enough sealant.

Did you have Renault do it for you then? Am wondering if it would be done for free if I get in touch with RUK... imo it is a manufacturer fault and they should fix the leak in scuttle panel for free!! :oops:

I asked renault about doing mine and they began saying it was something I'd have to pay to have done so I stopped them right there and told them not to bother.
Be careful when you pull the 2 pieces of the scuttle pannel out they're made of quite brittle plastic. So they're easy to snap especially in cold weather.

lewiswyn":2lh9569r said:
Yeah Jamie, got it checked out by Renault Swansea, and it was the dreaded scuttle panel leak problem! :cry:

They quoted me £445 to change all 4 plugs and coils, for a problem that is a manufacturing fault! it's disgusting that I should even be charged, let alone that much.. Will be getting in touch with RUK to complain after my uni exams finish..

Ended up taking it to my local garage, who changed all plugs and the coil closest to throttle body (far right) for only £90... Problem solved!

Or you could have done it for yourself for have the price. NKG Renault plugs less than £30, coil look at the original see who manufactured/code on it and order it minus the word 'Renault' written on it off the net for about £20.

The leak in reality is barely a issue to worry about as you can get the coils so cheap exactly the same as was fitted just without the word Renault on them made by the same manufacturer.

I had mine done under warranty luckily but I know there have a been a few people who have gotten it done out of warranty for free. Tell the garage you want to go further up to Renault UK and get it sorted due to an issue that they know about and also haven't done anything about.

rocketman":37uihv1a said:
lewiswyn":37uihv1a said:

Or you could have done it for yourself for have the price. NKG Renault plugs less than £30, coil look at the original see who manufactured/code on it and order it minus the word 'Renault' written on it off the net for about £20.

The leak in reality is barely a issue to worry about as you can get the coils so cheap exactly the same as was fitted just without the word Renault on them made by the same manufacturer.

This is what I ended up doing mate, got the NGK spark plugs, and 1 coil, all sorted now, just waiting for them to go again now :lol: :lol: