Lost a Wheel Bolt..

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MovingShadow

Reaction score
So yesterday evening I got this weird knocking noise when accelerating and then letting go of the throttle.

When I got home I checked the wheels nuts and to my surprise there was 1 wheel bolt gone, 2 were very loose. The wheel was only held in place by one bolt.

Wheel bolts do not unbolt there selfs, do they?

If they've been over tightened then it is possible when done up that they can come loose.

Otherwise I'd call foul play and someone wanted your wheels, but perhaps was disturbed

Is there any sign of the bolts stretching?

Or, was/is there paint on the bolt seat area or hub face?

Did you torque them up after fitting the wheels and check them after a drive?

singlespeed":1jsvzo2m said:
Is there any sign of the bolts stretching?

Or, was/is there paint on the bolt seat area or hub face?

Did you torque them up after fitting the wheels and check them after a drive?
As Neil said if there's paint under the bolts they can work there way loose after a while. Pointed this out to Nichola when two of hers we're loose shortly after she had the wheels painted.

They are also anti-theft bolts. So it less unlikely that some foul play was at stake. They're also my ugly winterwheels so I dunno who would wanted to steal them.
Me and my dad changed my wheels and after he secured them I tightened them up. Maybe I over did them?

deffinately sounds like they have been over tightened. being high tensile bolts, they will stretch and once stretched...they will now be useless. the thing to remember is that the torque value that renault gives in it's technical data is valid only to the factory wheels supplied with the car. the basic reason for that is down to the materials in the aluminium alloys which vary greatly over different wheels matched to the tensile strength of the particular bolts they use. the example being a set of 4x100 rotas have a torque value of 115 but the renault oems are 105 or 110 or something like that for the same car. hope that makes some sense lol?

The floating seat of the OEM Renault bolts with 105Nm may get higher tension and give a higher clamping force than a fixed seat bolt/nut with Rotas recomended 115Nm

I need to check my bolts asap. Have been quite busy lately. Haven't driven my car since Friday.

Yesterday I checked them and they seemed fine. First went to a tyre/car service called First Stop but they didn't have these special bolts. Had to go to a tuning shop to get these bolts. Also got these 4-crossed bolt screwing thingy (no idea how you call it in English) because the single one that came with the spare wheel isn't that good.

Made it alot easier securing them.

Happened to me with my old 133, driving down the motorway when I heard this huge THUD from the left. Didn't think anything of it really until I got home and realised I was missing a bolt. Think mine were too tight though