Loud AC Compressor clutch

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no mate, it should never make a noise like this. sounds like the bearing retainer clip has come loose which is an external spring around the bearing, held in by a circlip. the clutch itself will make a squeeling / loud whining noise when it's on it's way out

to confirm this, jack the front of the car up and get yourself underneath the car directly under the air con compressor. get a friend or someone to turn the aircon on and off so that you can confirm where the noise is coming from first and foremost

I can't jack it up and check until weekend but I did go to the Renault service today and made them listen to it but they said it's normal.

Now what :/

admittedly that's not a problem i've ever seen on a renault of this age (maybe one thats 20 years old or getting onto that sort of age). are you sure the clicking noise wasn't the ducts inside switching to divert air flow to the evaporator and blower?

i know that my GT makes that clicking noise on a cold start when i turn the heating on and set it to w/e i should so choose

Just to be clear, video was made from outside the car (I put the phone on the windscreen wipers), but sound is heard inside too if car is at idle/slow speed.

As I was listening to it, sound comes from around AC compressor/Alternator area. If I have AC on automatic and if it's not all that hot outside compressor goes on and off quite regularly (as seen in the video clip). Same sound is made if I manually turn AC on and off.

When I was showing it to the Renault service guy it didn't do it automatic so I was turning AC manually on and off. He said this sound is normal for AC compressor but if it regularly switches compressor on/off while on automatic and AC isn't working all that well I should get AC refilled.

AC is working just fine so I'll leave it for now. On weekend I will try to to remove bottom plastics and visualy check the compressor.