Machine Polish

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Is it worth buying one and doing it myself or just pay someone else. Have a few swirl marks that i want to remove :(

Dont even know how they got there there really light but i know there there :x I say you can only see them when its really sunny or super bright lights on the car but i know there their and its bugging me :oops:

I have a few swirls too! i want to learn how to use one... i just dont know where to start though!

I've heard you can do some damage to the paint if you do it wrong... i might see if i can get an old body panel and a machine polisher and try it on there, see what happens...

I hear you can burn your paint dont know how true that is though.

Might just pay someone to do it be on the save side.

mrs has just bought me a das6, im maga into detailing though, used to use my dads at his dealership but wanted my own small one.

they are hard to use, but on the other hand brilliant if you get used to how to use it

when i first got my hands on one it was the kestral big daddy one, i had a few old cars to practice on but it was just to hard to keep still and where i wanted it to go....

allways go for a small machine... they can go out of controll x

It really depends what results you're looking for mate. A beginner with a DA can definitely improve the overall look of their car fairly easily (better shine, clarity and gloss). Using a DA carries little risk of damaging your paint but correction is very difficult with a DA, especially if you're a beginner, so it really depends if you're looking for an improvement or a transformation.

The risk of burning paint comes into play when you're using a rotary polisher and attempting closer to full correction. If you're DIYing it, results are dependant on time, patience and skill. If you're paying someone to do it then results depend on how deep your wallet is and how long you can be without the car for.

i have extremly deep pockets there that deep i can touch the bottom :lol: just the cob webbs.

On a serious note. I want to do it myself and i dont trust people near my RS anal i know but its true :(

Just a bit confused as i fought a machine polish was a rotor polish ?

Twingogeekeo":l51dasie said:
i have extremly deep pockets there that deep i can touch the bottom :lol: just the cob webbs.

On a serious note. I want to do it myself and i dont trust people near my RS anal i know but its true :(

Just a bit confused as i fought a machine polish was a rotor polish ?

There's two types:

Rotary - Due to the way it evenly rotates, much more heat build up occurs, offering potential for fantastic results quickly, but also much more risk of damage.

DA - Dual action polishers do still rotate but they oscillate, dramatically reducing the build up of heat. Obviously this makes it much less risky but also means that getting good results is a lot harder and verrryyyy slloowwwwww lol!

Hope this helps.

hattonperformance":12hz9d3l said:
da is 100x better mate

I disagree with you on this mate, an analogy:

That's like saying hand polishing is 100x better than using a DA. Whilst it's much lower risk, easier and cheaper, it doesn't make it 'better' at all, because in the right hands a DA can achieve a better finish, in less time. It's exactly the same when you compare a DA to a rotary.

As already described... Rotary are for some more experienced users as you could generate real bad damages

But as I also started with a DA, I could tell you, that there are not that much scratches, which necessary need a rotary... with different pads and polishes, you could handle most of the defects... takes a bit longer, but you are on the safe side...

The Meguiar v2 machine is a good one... but a DAS-Pro also fits perfect...
Higher priced alternatives are Flex 3401 or Festool Rotex 125

I've never actually machine polished but from what I've read about it, as an amateur it's just worth taking it very easy and being cautious.

At the moment, I don't have swirls or marks that I feel can't be treated by hand for now so have never invested. Heard that the Dodo Juice polisher is fairly good although probably a re-branded machine from another manufacturer.

Get down the local scrap yard and get a couple of panels to try it out on. At least then you can gauge how to use it and what level of correction you'll get.