melted. steering wheel

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib3tti3

Reaction score
Hi guys, my leather steering wheel has started to "melt" or flake off has anybody got any tips on how to sort this or how to stop it? Cheers

mines doing the same in my clio. but I think the only way to resolve this is to replace it :-(

Mines really bad, I asked Karl for the price of a new steering wheel and he never got one for me

Mine did that. £247 for a new steering wheel iirc.

They tried to blame it on the fact i wear rings.

Had to laugh considering i have never worn one.

That was a proper moan to RUK over that

In the 2 years I have my Wind, my steering wheel has been replaced twice under warranty..

The steering wheel melts even faster in the spyder :|

Warranty has expired so not sure what I'll do when it happens again.

(steering wheel in Wind is the same as the Twingo RS, comes with cruise control buttons)

I was wairy of this as I've seen so many cars with steering wheels that have 'melted'. The one in my Clio 172 is a little bit like that but that's a ten year old car with 60k on it.

Actually have one of these in all four of our cars. Keeps the car shaded from the harsh sun at least.

silver_Car_Windscreen_Sun_Shade_incar.jpg

from what I have experienced, sweaty hands and/or use of skincare products ist the most common cause of the melting/peeling problem.

My twingo: 4 years, not even signs of wear on the wheel
My mothers gordini: 2 years, 2nd wheel
My clio: no signs of wear on the wheel
My mothers Megane: 6 years, 3rd wheel

both her cars are parked indoors. mine are not (so not the sun then?)

she uses neutrogena stuff all the time. I do not.

Thats very well possible.

When I'm driving around in my swag cruizer yelling "#yolo" during the summer I get quite sweaty :D

Especially driving in traffic.

But in all seriousness, I do transpire easily.

Thanks for the replays guys I tried the warranty thing but as it's only on one side they wouldn't do it! So I guess it's eBay hunting time!!

ib3tti3":2kv6ykhu said:
Thanks for the replays guys I tried the warranty thing but as it's only on one side they wouldn't do it! So I guess it's eBay hunting time!!
That's a bit off isn't it?! it's still defective whether it's only on one side or not!

I had a Clio 172 and the right hand side started going bubbly and the rubber grip started "melting"
It was within warranty (very close to 3yr tbh!) and Renault local dealer replaced it without quibbling.

Would have been £ 434 inc fitting.

Well I might try again, noW I know a few people have had there's changed I might shout a little louder!! will keep you guys informed.