MOT FAILED !!! HELPPPPPP!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twingo133

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that I have made the most out of my twingo 133 when after only being four years old it fails its MOT!

I now have a problem and wonder if any of you guys cold help! I'm in need of a new exhaust including cat :-( and all I'm seeing is £££££ signs everywhere I look!

I wouldn't usually mind but being as its so close to crimbo I'm a little strap for cash :-(

Any thoughts and ideas guys, it's much appreciated

James c :)

Normally you can have it welded, shouldn't be that expensive.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7871&p=119289&hilit=+exhaust+mot#p119289

I had the same problem last week... 1st MOT and 2nd service [24000mi]

Failed on emissions test - apparantly, I had a 'hole' in my exhaust - which they welded and subsequently passed.
Also needed a new tyre due to a bulge and advisory for a nail in the same tyre [so got a new one] and also front suspension arm ball joint dust covers had split [both sides].

I love my Twingo...but £390 just before Christmas isnt ideal!!

Are you 100% that there is actually a hole in the cat? There are two silencers under the car (3 including the backbox), perhaps one has been mistaken for a cat? The cat is much harder to see, twisted up inside the manifold. If the cat had a hole (very unlikely) then you'd be having all sorts of problems with lambda sensors etc I'd imagine.

You'd be better of simply replacing it with a stainless steel cat-back system as you will probably end up paying less for that than you would a new exhaust from Renault.

Matt":1f6e3gms said:
Are you 100% that there is actually a hole in the cat? There are two silencers under the car (3 including the backbox), perhaps one has been mistaken for a cat? The cat is much harder to see, twisted up inside the manifold. If the cat had a hole (very unlikely) then you'd be having all sorts of problems with lambda sensors etc I'd imagine.

You'd be better of simply replacing it with a stainless steel cat-back system as you will probably end up paying less for that than you would a new exhaust from Renault.

i heard the cat is welded to the manifold if that thing has a hole in it i would think you would hear loud noise in your engine bay i guess if thats not the problem like stated what matt said check your 3 boxes under the car one of them can be broken ... (Pics are from my car when i got my new exhaust system fitted ;) )
Nr.1
p1010926g.jpg

Nr.2
p1010936h.jpg

Nr.3
p1010923p.jpg

I have spoken to my mechanic, he has said that there is a hole I'm the manifold and tbh I always thought I could hear something, the centre box also has a split round the outside :)
I think it's a new system :-(

Thanks guys , photos and comments have been helpful

James

thats resonable, its 1yr out of warranty on a car that now comes with a 4yr 100k warranty from memory, both cars use the same exhaust manifold, which renault now warrant until 4yrs 100k so id get onto them and push for a contribution

You have inspired me, I will be on the phone first thing to see what I can do! Thankyou! I will let you know how I get on!
James

maggi112":1ou4txpq said:
Of course it's also far louder. Too loud for daily use IMO. The ktec exhaust is very borderline chav on the 133, I've not heard it on a gt jjay
is that the original catback system, or the new system that your on about?

Is the hole in the manifold in a place where is could be welded if it was removed? Unless RUK come up with a good offer... replacing the mani would mean removing it anyway. Because it gets up to temp quickly and is sheltered fron the wet, its not normqly a bit that rusts, so worth looking at if its possible

Hmm I'm so glad you guys know your cars! Really useful information when I'm ringing complaining at RUK this morning!

I don't know where the whole is! I think it's quite a big one as I can hear it clearly!

James

Neil I was referring to the old system which I thought (when I looked) was still their current cat back. It looked like you got the new one with the manifold? Of course feel free to correct me when I'm wrong! I've not yet heard the new system

maggi112":31xf7y7e said:
Neil I was referring to the old system which I thought (when I looked) was still their current cat back. It looked like you got the new one with the manifold? Of course feel free to correct me when I'm wrong! I've not yet heard the new system
I haven't heard the new one either... Hopefully after lunchtime, I should be able to comment.

The old k-tec system was avaliable as downpipe or cat back. Having a small rear silensor, it was rather loud as a catback system which removes the front and middle silensors and leaves a rear backbox of simillar size and style to the RS backbox.

The new system has a fairly large backbox and a decent sized mid box, so should be quieter than the old system. You can then choose a plain front pipe to go onto the original manifold(cat), or a sports cat and replacement manifold (or go decat). Wether this one replaces the old system once stock runs out, i don't know.

Ah I do seem to recall discussing this with you a while ago actually. How it should be quieter as I wanted the manifold (still do) but with oem noise levels. Maybe with a slight rasp as its always gonna be louder with less restriction really

twingo133":2ja3s5l9 said:
(...) the centre box also has a split round the outside (...)
James

A couple of people here had the same problem - I had this welded for ~4 quid :lol:

KamRS":2umefuvl said:
twingo133":2umefuvl said:
(...) the centre box also has a split round the outside (...)
James

A couple of people here had the same problem - I had this welded for ~4 quid :lol:

Sadly I could not so this as it was all over the exhaust, fortunatly I have found and replaced a new exhaust but has anyone seriously got any idea how difficult it is to get to the manifold and cat, basically pulled everything off the front of my car trying to fit it! Subframe, suspension, driveshaft, all of it!!! Bloody hell i was so shocked at how much work it was to change a bloody exhaust!

On the plus side, Renault have put aside £200 at a Renault dealership of my choice to have my new service done :) all thanks to the amazing suggestion if ringing RUK to moan at them!

My next venture is to decide what dealership will have the Pricelidge haha