MOT HID Issue

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzye

Reaction score
I put my car in for MOT on Friday at Sutton Park dealership, Coventry.

Checked on Friday afternoon and all that needed doing was to re-align the headlamps to pass the MOT. Just out of interest what is the cause of this?

I had a phone call today saying the 'non standard lights' (HIDs that I had fitted) have been removed to be replaced by the standard Renault ones in order to pass the MOT. The bumper had to be removed and I have been charged 2 hours labour plus parts at full Renault prices, £157.

I'm not blaming Hatton Performance/Josh here but is there something he has done wrong or not telling me about?

The dealership have said that the HIDs do not pass MOT, making them non roadworthy. Is this right?

yes HIDs on the twingo are a MOT fail

why?
- Not in projector lights
- Not self leveling
- No light washers fitted to the car
- Dazzle other road users as the light which is omitted is scattered everywhere.

but you don't need to remove the bumper to fit them at all, they took you for a ride there......

What is the point in having HIDs then, if they don't pass the MOT?

Or do I just fit them again and take them out next year for the MOT.

what have they actually failed them on on the failure sheet??

depends.. if you get pulled over with them .. the you can be fined...
why do people have them? because they look nice and some believe they omit better light

pritchp":28d2po8t said:
- Not self leveling
- Dazzle other road users as the light which is omitted is scattered everywhere.

but you don't need to remove the bumper to fit them at all, they took you for a ride there......

Technically none of these are mot failures!!
depends on how and what units they have been fitted to!!

TURBO":12bhe0dp said:
pritchp":12bhe0dp said:
- Not self leveling

Technically none of these are mot failures!!
depends on how and what units they have been fitted to!!
That's correct none of the above are an mot failure related to hids. If they have been fitted incorrectly and the beam pattern is wrong that a failure.
The police work to constructions and use act while I as a tester have to work to vosa guidelines.

im shocked.. as what ive been told in the past is that what i wrote down all lead to MOT failures...sorry guys :(

gsidave":3qaqe9b2 said:
That's correct none of the above are an mot failure related to hids. If they have been fitted incorrectly and the beam pattern is wrong that a failure.
The police work to constructions and use act while I as a tester have to work to vosa guidelines.

hey fellow tester :p

this is where the mot is pointless as it could be mot'd and then be stopped by the bill and be illegal!!
due to the vosa vs act problem!

it doesnt help that most coppers dont have a danny when it comes to this matter :?

also mad to think your car will fail if its got a sat nav holder in the screen but pass for things you would consider dangerous :?

Your Twingo must of been the one I spotted in the car park on Friday afternoon then :)

TURBO":3f4kqvjw said:
gsidave":3f4kqvjw said:

hey fellow tester :p

this is where the mot is pointless as it could be mot'd and then be stopped by the bill and be illegal!!
due to the vosa vs act problem!

it doesnt help that most coppers dont have a danny when it comes to this matter :?

also mad to think your car will fail if its got a sat nav holder in the screen but pass for things you would consider dangerous :?
It winds me up, there more concerned about number plates and silly stuff. Yet we can pass and advise tyres with next to no tread on them. For people to think they don't then have to bother with there car for another year.

gsidave":334gathw said:
It winds me up, there more concerned about number plates and silly stuff. Yet we can pass and advise tyres with next to no tread on them. For people to think they don't then have to bother with there car for another year.

oh you mean the advise = leave it til nxt year form :roll: :roll:

Mine passed the mot, they don't actually dazzle other road users if aligned properly and i've never really had any other issues with them, they just took you for a ride, yes they arent in projectors but most of the new h4 kits dont dazzle due to the design of the bulb, put it this way they fucked you over!

besides the above, failure or not. Why did the bumper need removing and take two hours to fit two bulbs...

singlespeed":k6knlsi9 said:
besides the above, failure or not. Why did the bumper need removing and take two hours to fit two bulbs...
indeed i am very puzzeld by this ......................

Hmm sounds a little like "what can we fail that we can fix for £s"

I'll be keeping an eye on this for the outcome

I hope you refused to pay that? I assume they were not given permission to carry out any work on the vehicle when it was left with them?

a screw on each light at the back of the motors but needs to be done at a garage on a aligning machine as it reads where the eage of the beam is. thats from what i know pursonaly not 100% on this subject.