MOT HID Issue

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
matbry01":1jgx4fm6 said:
a screw on each light at the back of the motors but needs to be done at a garage on a aligning machine as it reads where the eage of the beam is. thats from what i know pursonaly not 100% on this subject.
Cool, thanks mate.

Email I received:
Just a call to let you know that your vehicle will not be ready this evening, they are still looking into the fauolt regarding the headlight arrangement , this looks like the bumper will have to be removed as part of the diagnostic testing.

I have been away on holiday so before I left I told them to "do what needs doing to pass the MOT" as that is all I was concerned about to make sure the car was roadworthy for when I return to work.

MOT Failed on:
1. offside front Front position lamp not working (1.1.A.2b)
2. Nearside front Headlamp aim aimed so that it dazzles other road users (1.8)
3. Offside front Headlamp aim aimed so that it dazzles other road users (1.8)

I have been charged £159.97 for the following:
MOT - I accept this as the standard charge £54.85
LAB - Removed customers OS and NS xenon bulb kits and refitted original for MOT standards. Tested operation all with MOT spec £73.00
LAB - Fitted OSF side light from customers kit due to inop. £14.60
VAT £17.52

What has really annoyed me is the state they have left my car in. The xenon kit has been 'half' removed with wires and the packs left dangling everywhere. Some cable ties have been cut and some haven't. See pic below:
IMAG0626.jpg

IMAG0625.jpg

What's worse is that they have left the LED side light bulb in on passengers side but the driver side has had a standard light fitted so now I have odd lights that look ridiculous:
IMAG0628.jpg

IMAG0627.jpg

How long are Hatton performance side lights meant to last? 1 of mine has lasted 7/8 months.

To pass the MOT could they not have just re-angled the aim so that the HIDs do not dazzle other road users?

Any suggestions as to what I do now? How do I complain other than driving there tomorrow and demanding to speak to the service team or a manager.

kizzye said:
What has really annoyed me is the state they have left my car in. The xenon kit has been 'half' removed with wires and the packs left dangling everywhere. Some cable ties have been cut and some haven't. See pic below:
IMAG0626.jpg

quote]

that is so dangeourouse as the ballest is hanging where the belt is just below :eek: :shock: :shock:

If your ballasts and plugs were hidden behind the bumper, then I could understand needing to remove the bumper to reconnect the headlight connector(s). However some of the HID connectors are visible in the engine bay and ballast unit looks to be hanging in the engine bay , so what part of diagnostic testing would removing the bumper fit into?

£14.60 to fit one of your sidelight bulbs :shock: As a one off task, fair doos, however they were in the cluster anyway to replace the headlight bulb

thing is there is only a horn behind the bumper so there is nothing to test behind there. they are takeing your for a ride !

just looked at my "sources" only thing is the washerbottle and pump, fog lights and horn behind the bumper. so tbh more information is needed.

So I got ripped off on labour? Anything else I can complain about? I had to pay the full amount to get my key back. The salesman was running back & forwards to the service area to answer my questions.

I'm going to unscrew any remaining connections and cable ties then remove the ballasts tomorrow morning just to be on the safe side for driving.

NOT going back to the dealership ever again! They wanted to charge me an hour labour just to put the RS handbrake cover on

what a buntch of assholes ! mate i would of let hell break loose if i was you !!!
had to pay to get your key back what happend ?

Hate to say it but sounds to me like they have seen a young boy racer with lots of money come in and though how can we spank him today.
Need to find yourself a more mod friendly garage.

I'm 27 and going bald LOL. The only mods I have are RS gear knob, stickers on side windows and the HIDs

Speak to Karl, he's your man for servicing.

They tried to charge me for new number plates and headlight bulbs when my Twingo had its 2nd service as they do a courtesy MOT check. The bulbs were "blue" and the numberplates were illegal. I was having none of it so challenged them.

They couldn't tell me at what kelvin the bulbs burnt at and when i pointed out the halfords distribution stamp on the numberplates they quickly made up excuses and I walked away without paying them anything.

I've had big problems with them before with warranty work but Karl has always sorted everything out for me.

I think the problem you have is that you told them to do whatever it takes to get it through its MOT, they've done just that!

I would actually get onto consumer rights about this and send them a letter threatening them with small claims action for overcharging on labour

mate you have been mugged !!!!!!!!! big time!!!!!
id be going insane!!!!!!

also the fact they have fiited a normal sidelight bulb on one side and left your led in could be considered a failure to some!!!!!!

as long as the hids were fitted correctly and had the right pattern then they CANT fail them!!!!
they are just being utter dickheads, who think they can do what they like!! if you took a non renault into that dealer with your hids fitted and they didnt know they wernt standard then i bet it would pass!!

best thing you can do is ring renault uk and complain and then ring vosa and complain!explain to them what has happened and how fucked off u are and how much youve been charged and then hopefuly they will look into it and the dealer could loose its mot licence!!

TURBO":1nxhz6a1 said:
mate you have been mugged !!!!!!!!! big time!!!!!
id be going insane!!!!!!

also the fact they have fiited a normal sidelight bulb on one side and left your led in could be considered a failure to some!!!!!!

as long as the hids were fitted correctly and had the right pattern then they CANT fail them!!!!
they are just being utter dickheads, who think they can do what they like!! if you took a non renault into that dealer with your hids fitted and they didnt know they wernt standard then i bet it would pass!!

best thing you can do is ring renault uk and complain and then ring vosa and complain!explain to them what has happened and how f****d off u are and how much youve been charged and then hopefuly they will look into it and the dealer could loose its mot licence!!

*Also mention the dangerous mess they left your car in.

If that was me I'd be going nuts!

I went into an MOT station with my previous car, I chose them because they'd do it for £30.
They must have thought to themselves, "here's comes a thick young lad in a nice golf, lets mug him off".
I got the report back which was a fail due to emissions being way above what they should be and an advisory because there was a bit of brake fluid around the reservoir cap (VW had just replaced the fluid the day before and hadn't been overly neat).
The car had a standard exhaust on at the time but as soon as I mentioned it had been remapped the guy tried to fob me off that remapped cars spit unburnt fuel onto the cat which eventually clogs it and stops it from working. Gave me the whole "I've been doing this for years shit".
So he was ready to charge me £1000 for a new cat plus fitting. As you could imagine I told him where to go, which involved sex and travel :lol:
I was desperate to get the MOT done as I was travelling down south the next day to have some coil overs fitted so I sent it to a 'friendly' MOT who passed it.
Out of interest the next day when I was getting the coils fitted I asked the guys to go out in the car and scan it for any error codes. Came back and all was well, no sensors throwing up anomalies or anything unusual.

Just goes to show how many dishonest pricks there are out there who have no guilty conscience when they bullshit someone for some extra cash :evil: